Per window average cost

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
pjmurph2002

Per window average cost

#1 Post by pjmurph2002 »

I have recently had a few estimates for windows. All of the salesmen have indicated that because the windows are all under a certain size (100 sq inch - I think is what they said), the pricing per window is the same. Once I commit, they would all come back out for the exact measurements.

What should someone expect to pay for a decent double hung window? Remove old window & storm and discard, furnish and install new double hung window, wrap exterior wood with aluminum. I have found both positive and negative reviews for all three brands.

Thanks

TheWindowNerd

Re: Per window average cost

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

white vinyl DH, DP low e argon, non mettalic spacer, half screen, no grids
minimum ten units, no issues, std install of insert replacement
$585 per window, in my neck of the woods.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Any other options (color, hardware, etc) in the window?

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Some dealers use 0-101 pricing, others use more price brackets. It just depends who you talk to, as neither method is right or wrong. On pricing, there is a pretty large range of what is reasonable depending upon the grade of product, size and business model of the dealer, option content, installation style, etc, etc.
You generally will not find a high quality replacement window under $500 installed, and that could go up into the $8-$900 range if it is loaded with options. Once you get over $1000 per opening you are getting into price gouging territory unless there are some extraordinary circumstances. Average price (for a good product) will probably fall somewhere between $5-$700 for replacements. On the low side, you are getting into dangerous territory once you get into the low $400's or less. Either product or installation are going to suffer at that point because costs are being cut somewhere.

pjmurph2002

#5 Post by pjmurph2002 »

so far I have

1)anderson silverline 9500 at $370 a window
2) okna 500 at $454a window
3) feldco at $ 405 a window

what are your thoughts? thanks in advance

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Well if you want a window that you will not feel a draft from then the Okna 500 would be the best choice. The price is good.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Door #2. :D Its the only product that I'd consider from that list, and that is some very aggressive pricing.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Option 2 for my numbers as well.

What options are in that window at that number. That is pretty lean on the price.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#9 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Windows on Washington wrote:Option 2 for my numbers as well.

What options are in that window at that number. That is pretty lean on the price.
I heard that the Okna 500 Deluxe windows he got a quote on for this apartment building are beige in & out.
I also heard he got an Okna 400 Deluxe quote for $419 per window beige in & out.

pjmurph2002

#10 Post by pjmurph2002 »

I didn't know that color affected the price, my bad. Again, I am asking the questions of the pros on this site for that reason - Thank You

Yes the windows are beige in and out. Yes there was a second quote at the same price you noted - funny that you had the exact # :).

Trying to make the educated decision, on a very large investment, on products that I am unfamiliar with is not easy.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

That is a killer price on an elite product. Seems like a "no-brainer" to me.
A good way to tell if you are comparing apples to apples on product is to look at the thermal and structural performance ratings. At .25 u-value (dx double pane) and .02 air infiltration (Double hung), the 500DX is several notches ahead of the other choices, and in rare-air as far as overall window performance is concerned.

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The 500Dx is a great choice for product.
If Window4U is your contarct then you have the perfect combonation of product and install.
Very important to get both right.
TheWindowNerd...

pjmurph2002

#13 Post by pjmurph2002 »

A few more quotes came in, so I have the following:

1-Okna 500 @ $454 a window
2-Gorell Softlight Bainbridge @ $445 a window
3-Okna 400 @ $419 a window
4-Gorell Softlight Barrington @ $415 a window
5-Sunrise Essentials @ $363 a window
6-Lindsay Sunview @ $360 a window
7-Anderson Silverline 9500 @ $350 a window

Can't find to much info on the Lindsay. The Silverline seems to get nothing bad bad reviews. Mostly good reviews on the Essentials, plus a few neighbors have installed them and are very happy. Gorell seems to have just been bought out by Softlight, so I wonder about their warranty and service. Okna has positive reviews. Other than the Okna 500, they all (1 thru 6) have similar air infiltration #'s. The other #'s are all close to one another. The Essentials has same as cash for 6 months, which is very helpful. Both of the Gorell's also offer same as cash, but for two months. Unfortunately, no such offer with Okna, which is my preference.

Is Gorrell a safe buy? Sunrise seems to have decent reviews, any experience with them? Anyone know anything about Lindsay?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#14 Post by masterext »

although Sunrise make a great window, the essentials is a budget oriented window and not something we recommend. the sunrise vanguard, verde, or restorations are great products.
the okna 500 is a killer deal at that cost assuming its a good install. that window is usually over 500 per opening. to me its a no brainer. you just cant beat that.

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

At the risk of sounding a bit like a broken record, the Okna 500, at that price, seems to be the best deal of the bunch.

That is some really aggressive pricing on a really good window.