replacing windows where termites lived

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
biz8532

replacing windows where termites lived

#1 Post by biz8532 »

Before I begin this thanks to all who spend their time helping people like myself. We appreciate it more than you think.

I am replacing some windows in my house. House was built in 86. Best-built wood frame casements, I am replacing 8 of the 14. All are doubles, one has a half round on the top.

I have been reading way to much and received quotes from Apex (no thanks), weathershield (fiberglass), and looking hard at the simonton 9800, Soft lite is out of the question because of the dealer here in indy.

sunrise and OKNA and Plygem are the next for a quote. I am looking but having trouble finding dealers.

My questions;
1. is fiberglass the way to go?
2. If I buy a window ie: simonton windows from a builders supply store and then the installer screws it up what are my options. Should I buy the windows from a company who has their own installers?

I have been reading the warranties and that is what turned me off to weathershield and allside/apex.

All of this and I have the termites to worry about. Terminex came and treated 2-3 weeks ago. They were active in and around one of my windows for sure. It is a double casement window that is in the kitchen, the sink, tile and counter top are on the other side.

I am hopeful that they did not eat up alot of the surrounding wood but also not that naive.

Is a window installer capable of fixing the infested area if needed to be able to hang the window properly?

Thanks in advance, biz

Windows on Washington

Re: replacing windows where termites lived

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Questions:

1. Fiberglass is nice but the primary motivation form most folks to buy that window type is the look and not any real performance advantage. It does have a warmer and more organic feel to it compared to vinyl. If that is what you are looking for, fiberglass is great but I would stick to InLine and Marvin first and foremost.

2. You warranty on the labor is with the installer and product with the company. Do your research and find a reputable installation company. Whether they use a subcontractor or employee is inconsequential in my opinion if they are well vetted and skilled.

Most window installers can easily hand some structural wood rot.

HomeSealed

Re: replacing windows where termites lived

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to WoW's comments.
Keep in mind also that if you go with a fiberglass product with a wood interior, you are still going to have the same maintenance/staining, etc that you would on any clad wood product, as well as the weak (10yr) warranty.
Of the products that you've mentioned so far, I think that you will fall in love with the Okna. The 800 is gorgeous, while the 500 is a nice "bang for the buck" if you are just going white or almond interior. Sunrise and Homeguard would be a couple other nice options available in your area, and better than the others that you listed in my opinion.