Best for Colorado?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
lbaylis

Best for Colorado?

#1 Post by lbaylis »

Hello,
I have had it with these sales people. I just want to know what type of window is best in Denver Colorado, for a brick home? Of course every sales person says they have the best but in researching windows I have found they are full of themselves. The newest sales person was TVH windows, which I have not found much information on. I know they just need the sale. But truly does anyone know what manufacture's window is the best in Colorado? What window will last in Colorado, with the best results?
Any and all advise is apreciated.
Thanks,
Lynette

Windows on Washington

Re: Best for Colorado?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Lynette,

Start with what type of window do you want. What do you want the window to look like? Do you require a wood window, vinyl, fiberglass, etc?

Where in Colorado is the home located? What are the exposures (i.e. orientation)?

uto

#3 Post by uto »

What research have you done with your own state energy agencies? This is a good place to start. I am sure there is a lot of help for residents of Colorado who are purchasing windows for the first time.

markf57

#4 Post by markf57 »

Lynette:

I'm in Longmont and I purchased windows for our home almost 2 years ago.

One of this things I was trying to accomplish was to allow solar gain on the south facing windows to capture the the heat gain with our sunny Colorado winters while keeping the heat in on the north facing windows.

I ended up going with Vanguard windows (made by Sunrise). They are one of the few manufactures that makes a low U window with a higher SHGC so that you can capture the winter sun.

Mark

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Mark,

Thanks for posting up. I knew that we had a bunch of threads on Colorado specific applications. Good to see you posting up and hopefully your experience will help Lynette avoid some of the learning curve pitfalls.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. There are a handful of manufacturers that I strongly prefer, and Sunrise is among them (and perhaps the only one available in your area). The Vanguard is a very good choice.
When sifting through all of the guys claiming that their window is the best, skip the BS and go right to the performance ratings.
-Total unit U-value
-Air Infiltration
-Design Pressure
-Shgc (specific to your climate and the orientation of your home)

With that info, it becomes much easier to sort through the quality and performance of each product.

lbaylis

#7 Post by lbaylis »

markf57 wrote:Lynette:

I'm in Longmont and I purchased windows for our home almost 2 years ago.

One of this things I was trying to accomplish was to allow solar gain on the south facing windows to capture the the heat gain with our sunny Colorado winters while keeping the heat in on the north facing windows.

I ended up going with Vanguard windows (made by Sunrise). They are one of the few manufactures that makes a low U window with a higher SHGC so that you can capture the winter sun.

Mark
Thank you so very much Mark. I'm an educated person but I have to say this has been a challenging experience. I will check out vanguard.
Thanks a bunch!!!!
Lynette