Replacement windows - Waco, TX

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Christian

Replacement windows - Waco, TX

#1 Post by Christian »

I need to replace 11 aluminum windows (covered by storm windows) in the central Texas area. The windows range from 24'' x 18'' to 36'' x 60''. Is vinyl a good choice for this area?
I have received two quotes. One is for Milgard Styleline with 3D Max, the other is for NT Windows Energy Master. In each case, each window averages to about $350. For the Milgard, installation is extra. For the NT, installation is included.
How do they compare? What other windows should I consider? Do the prices sound reasonable?
How much sound does a double pane window filter out? How much can I expect my utility bill to be lower if I choose a window with a .29 U-factor (considering coming from single pane / storm windows)?
I also have a question about installation. One of the companies claims that their method is better, because it does not damage the home wrap. Is this an issue with window installation?
Like many others, I am confused about which window to pick.
Thank you to anyone who is willing to share their expertise.

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacement windows - Waco, TX

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What is the exterior cladding of the home (brick, siding, etc)?

Vinyl is okay for your region as long as it is very well built and engineered.

It is impossible to lend any commentary on noise, energy reductions, or any other comparable items without knowing more details about other items of construction and what the current windows are built like.

Christian

#3 Post by Christian »

The exterior is brick for the first floor (which applies to 9 windows) and vinyl siding covering wood on the second floor (2 windows).

Since these are original single pane windows, there has to be at least some noise reduction and energy efficiency benefit, right?

How do you feel about NT Windows (Energy Master) and Milgard Styleline?

Thank you for your help!

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I hope Randy will chime in as he is the resident TX pro.
I general he likes the NT products.

Yes you will have great improvement in noise reduction(that will be the first thing that you notice. The next thing will be energy cost savings. Both are dependent on quality product and excellence of installation.

TheWindowNerd...

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Christian wrote:Since these are original single pane windows, there has to be at least some noise reduction and energy efficiency benefit, right?
You should note some appreciate reductions in sound and energy loss with a properly sealed and relatively air tight window.

Be sure to specify a 3 coat low-e in this case as your climate necessitates it.

Randy

#6 Post by Randy »

NT makes a good product, with great standard features such as Super Spacer, Low-E366, double strength glass, and internal reinforcement. I am amazed at the low pricing that I regularly see in the DFW area, and doubt that it can be anything more than the very basic caulk and walk installation that is way too common in Texas.