Retroactive Tax Credit for windows passed

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Retroactive Tax Credit for windows passed

#1 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Windows on Washington

Re: Retroactive Tax Credit for windows passed

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Yeah!!!

Window4U (IL)

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

This little credit won't spur sales. More expense and work for our offices with no benefit of increased sales. I'm bummed.

Window4U (IL)

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I can't imagine this little credit is going to spur sales. Would any of you out there buy a house full of windows just because they could get $200 back on their taxes? I'm curious.
It looks to me like more expense and paperwork for our offices without the benefit of increased sales. :(

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

So are you implying that the government would waste money? That sir is preposterous! :lol:

gravymatt

#6 Post by gravymatt »

So in a nutshell for those of us in the homeowner persuasion, the max tax credit consumers can receive for new replacement windows bought in 2012 or 2013 is $200?

Wow :roll: that seems low, wasn't it way higher in years past?

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

That is correct. It has not been any higher (than $200 since 2009-2010) when it was $1500... I would not count on that coming back any time soon. There is federal money wrapped up in some state and city programs however. In Milwaukee we have the ME2 program that offers some funds for energy efficient projects including windows. It would be worthwhile to do some research into the availability of any such program on your state or local level.

TRC

#8 Post by TRC »

I haven't looked into in a while but here in Morris County,NJ they had a weatherization program that would subsidize window replacements for low-income households. You had to bid on the contract and the prices they paid to the contractors were so low that you couldn't do a quality job. My bid was at least 2x higher than other contractors. It's a real shame how the program worked, in many cases the new window was just as inefficient as the original because there were no installation guidelines. So contractors would just slap in the cheapest vinyl window they could find, no insulation, maybe some cheap caulk on the blind stops (if you were lucky) and they would move on.