Differences between Okna 400, 500, and 800 series

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
pjs755

Differences between Okna 400, 500, and 800 series

#1 Post by pjs755 »

We need to replace our windows. The house is 27 yrs old, single pane glass with triple track storms. I've kinda settled on Okna, but I'm having a little trouble with the differences between the series. The local Okna dealer downplayed the differences as primarily cosmetic. Can someone explain the differences between the various Okna windows?

If you ha d to choose between doing the entire house with Okna 400, or doing a half at a time with Okna 800's, which would you choose, and why?

Paul in CT

HomeSealed

Re: Differences between Okna 400, 500, and 800 series

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd choose the 500 ;P ... Seriously, if you are just going white or almond and you don't care about the metal handles, I think that the 500 offers the best bang for the buck. There are some structural differences as you go down the line (look at the DP and AI ratings) due to thinner extrusion, etc, but the 400 is still a very stout unit. If you can't afford to do the whole place with the 500, you still won't go wrong with the 400. It may be Okna's entry level, but it is still in the very upper echelon of vinyl windows. Whichever option you choose, go for the deluxe (DX). Adds foam in the frames and sashes and locking screens on the Dh's.
Besides the extrusion, there are some differences in the weatherstripping, etc, but the glass is the same... Best thing to do is to take a look at the units side by side, and operate them, look at all of the details, etc. I can say from an installation standpoint, both the 500 and 800 feel a bit more "solid". They also have a utility groove which most installers will tuck their trim into.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

The Okna envirostar 800 has composite sash reinforcement- a magnetic seal, also a sill interlock. Of course some nice options such as antique brass or nickel hardware which looks real sharp.
The 800 is very similar to Vytex windows ( potomac series ). Also a very solid window.

The new Okna 600 series ( EcoPro) has all the features the 800 has except it doesnt have a magnet in the sill which many pro's dont feel does anything. The 600 has a more narrow frame which will give more glass which is a plus. Some customers do not like the big metal handle on the bottom sash of the 800 series and decide to go with the new 600 series.
The 800 and 600 are much more solid than the 400 series although the 400 is still a decent offering.
The 500 is a step above the 400 but just below the 800 and 600 series.
Last edited by masterext on Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I had the 400 and 500 up on my tailgate comparing them when I first became a dealer 4-5 years ago. I seem to remember that the 400 and 500 use the same exact sashes. Only the frame is different. While the 500 is my #1 seller, my customers who have chosen the 400 series have been just as satisfied with their windows as my customers who chose the 500 series.
I have to say I've never had a window that was at the bottom of a company's offerings perform as well as the 400 has.

Here is a pic of them side by side: