VPI vinyl eplacement windows vs Milgard Tuscany

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
set907

VPI vinyl eplacement windows vs Milgard Tuscany

#1 Post by set907 »

I am in the process of replacing 10 windows and 4 sliding doors for my house in northern California. This is to replace 25+ years old existing aluminum double pane windows. The house is always cold and there is seems to be considerable leak. I had a very good price quoted by a diamond certified installer for VPI brand. I have choice of Millard and Amerimax windows. The price on VPI is very good.
Every one claims their windows is best. Every one of the above companies mention thay have life time warranty.
I am interested to know the opinion from the users of this website. I need to make a quick decision in a few days.
Any input or advice is very much appreciated

Thanks,
Set907

Windows on Washington

Re: VPI vinyl eplacement windows vs Milgard Tuscany

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Set907,

Unfortunately, there is not a really good representation of dealers and/or installers west of the Rockies on the board. I nominate myself to move to the mountains of Colorado if the board will cover the relocation and moving expenses... :lol:

That aside, we can help you sort through the quote an vet it on your own.

Amerimax and Milgard are both pretty well recognized and thought of brands. The are big companies that both produce solid products. VPI may be the best window of the group but without knowing about items like its U-Factor (U-Value), Design Pressure (DP), Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC), Air Infiltration (AI), Visible Transmittance (VT), etc, it is tough to give you and idea about the window.

Now, you needn't set up a laboratory to get that information, it is all available from the manufacturer and the dealer. Tell us what you can about your home and what type of install is being proposed as well as the options in the window. Location of the home and orientation is also helpful.

Thanks and we look forward to your reply.

set907

#3 Post by set907 »

I really appreciate your reply and thank you for taking time to do.
The home was built in 1964. I have been in the house for past 30 years. The house had two extensive remodels. Current windows were installed about 25 years ago. There are total 10 windows and 4 sliding doors to be replaced. About 5 windows and 2 sliding doors are exposed to sun from south most of the afternoon.
Exterior is stucco.
The weather is mild most of the year. Temp 90 in summer and 40-50 in winter with few nights going to 30s or upper 20s.

Installation of new windows: retrofit windows; sliding glass doors will be with new frame. The stucco will not be damaged during the installation.
VPI window specifications: Synergy Premium series: double pane/lowE3, U-Value 0.29 SHGC 0.22 for for windows as well as sliding doors.
With Amerimax windows: U-Value 0.28 and SHGC 0.20, structural rating R 30 ; sliding doors: DP rating R45, U-Value 0.27, SHGC 0.23;

Again thanks for your help.
Set907

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Both look pretty good and I suspect they are going to be going a stucco flange type install.

Try to get the Air Infiltration data on the VPI.

The thermal data looks pretty good from a comparison stuff.

set907

#5 Post by set907 »

I will try to find the Air Infiltration data. Thanks for your help.

set907

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Not to worry.

We are happy to help.

Keep us posted.

set907

#7 Post by set907 »

Hello,
I have Air infiltration data on the Synergy window series of VPI windows:

window type size Air Infiltration at 25 mph Water resistance Structural test Rating

slider 108 x60 .09 CFM/FT2 5.25 psf (45.8 mph) 52.5 psf (145 mph) HS-C35
Single hung 44x 60 .12 4.5 45 psf (134 mph) H-R60
Picture window 80x78 .02 6.75 psf(52 mph) 52.5 (145 mph) H-R20

Bellevue Slider 96x96 .11 5.25 (45 mph) 30 psf (109 mph) SD-R20

Slider(French style)96x96 .19 3.75 (38.7 mph) 30 psf (109 mph) SD-R20

I also have another question regarding installation.
Amerimax installer will install sliding doors as new construction-(cutting stucco, pulling frames, reestablish vapor barrier, trim interior with new primed wood trim; either re-stucco exterior or trim with new primed wood.)
VPI installer thinks it is enough to take the existing frame out and install new sliding door.
I have four sliding doors.
The cost difference is about $500 ( more for Amerimax new construction install)
The windows: both will do retro-fit. Amerimax will install windows also (ten of them) for additional $3860.

I am under the impression that new construction install may be better.

I look forward to your opinion and recommendation in both matters i.e. VPI window air filtration ratings and installation methods.

Thank you very much

set907 :?

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Numbers look decent. Surprised that the slider is tighter than the single hung. It is usually the other way around, but the abnormally large unit size will lower the average so that number will be notably higher on a normal sized slider.

As a general rule for us, I prefer the new construction method on stucco installs. While it is more work, it is easier to eliminate variables that cannot be accounted for with an insert install.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Looks decent. That said, for only a $500 premium, the other contractor sounds like it might be the better choice. The installation procedure is more in-depth, it sounds like he provided a pretty detailed description, and on product, while I don't know the exact specs on the Amerimax , it is a pretty well-known and respected company.
Can't say for sure, but that would probably be my choice just based on the info that you have provided. :wink:

Randy

#10 Post by Randy »

On the west coast, with stucco so prevalent, I think the vast majority of the installations are done by jumping the frame.

This video shows the method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wle9dR2CJQE

The AI number on the slider is low for a slider, as WoW said. Even with the larger size, it's hard to believe that it got that low. I'd like to see the AAMA report on it.

toddinmn

#11 Post by toddinmn »

The air infiltration numbers on single-hungs are higher sometimes because they are a budget window, maybe check out their upper-end double-hungs.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

toddinmn wrote:The air infiltration numbers on single-hungs are higher sometimes because they are a budget window, maybe check out their upper-end double-hungs.
I agree Todd.

Still, when you have one 1/2 of the moveable surface area and in the form of a double hung (typically a more airtight window based on design), the single hung should be tighter.

The abnormally large size of that 2-Lite is what is lowering that average.

toddinmn

#13 Post by toddinmn »

44x60 is a typical sized test window. If I look at Gerkin's Test results for a 44x60 the AI# is 0.08 and for a 48x72 the AI# is 0.03 for the same 4800series double-hung window.Iwould agree that a single-hung in theory would have a lower AI# if built to the same standards as a double-hung. I would compare the test results and see,sometimes you do not save a lot of money going to the single-hungs.

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Perfectly said.

set907

#15 Post by set907 »

Dear all,
I thank everyone on this post and really appreciate everyone's output on the matter of selecting windows and sliding glass door for my house.
I am very close to making a decision. The choice is between VPI windows and Amerimax.
The Amerimax is about $750 more (VPI is $9700 and Amerimax is $10450) for comparable products i.e. with same type of specs like U-Factor, SHGC and AI.
New construction installation for sliding doors and retrofit windows.
I am debating if it worth paying extra for Amerimax, for the brand name. If the ratings and warranty on the windows and doors are similar, does it make difference in choosing one against another. Only thing may be, ability of the company to be around for long time. But we have already witnessed great recession and these companies have survived.

The other thing is, I can easily afford extra $750 for Amerimax, but just wanted to convince my self that it is worth.
I appreciate your thoughts in the matter.

Again, I thank everyone for your help in sorting this out for me.

set907