Replacement Vinyl windows - Price Sanity check

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
snuba911

Replacement Vinyl windows - Price Sanity check

#1 Post by snuba911 »

I'd like to replace the old vinyl windows in my house. i've gotten estimates from 3 window companies and for their 'best' product i've been quoted prices from 550 to 625 per window installed. that number seems high to me but i really have no idea. That price includes removal & disposal of all existing windows, flashing, and sealing of the replacement windows.

All my windows are less than 101UI. so does anyone have a good ballpark number for good quality vinyl windows installed? i'm in southwestern PA.

On my must have list is fusion welded frames & sashes, quality balance system, low-e glass, gas btwn panes, double pane - not triple pane, virgin vinyl, reinforced interlocking sashes, & a sloped sill. I'm just looking for a sanity check here and want to make sure i'm not getting ripped off. Thanks in advance!

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: Replacement Vinyl windows - Price Sanity check

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Make, models and options please. Are lead safe practices being used? The prices could be good or horrible depending on the details.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If the AI is < .05 I would think the price within normal.

theWindowNerd....

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. There are a lot of variables, but that is definitely within the normal range for a premium product. Give or take a few bucks depending on options, install details, etc.

$625 could be high for a white dh with basic install and few options, and $550 could be a phenomenal deal for a window loaded with sdl grids, woodgrain, extrerior color, etc.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

What brand? If its a high quality brand, then that range is very well within normal.
I cannot see anyone getting that price for a wood grain plus SDL grids though, that would be ridiculously low. Wood grain and SDL easily brings the price into the 700's as long as its a basic replacement install.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

masterext wrote:What brand? If its a high quality brand, then that range is very well within normal.
I cannot see anyone getting that price for a wood grain plus SDL grids though, that would be ridiculously low. Wood grain and SDL easily brings the price into the 700's as long as its a basic replacement install.
Agreed. Woodgrain and SDL I am there as well... A window that starts out in the $500's installed can skyrocket pretty quickly with some of those big ticket add-on's. Those are not cheap options!

snuba911

#7 Post by snuba911 »

sorry for the delay everyone....i've been quoted those prices for Alside 8000 (ultramax w/ a fiber reinforcement instead of steel), Home depot's Vantage point 6500 (Simonton) and Northeast building products Camelot. I liked all 3 windows. the Camelot was the most energy efficient on paper - it has the 'sashlite' spacer (non-metal) which i thought was interesting. if something ever happens to the sash like condensation or separation, they just give you a brand new sash. I just got a quote today for the Pella 350 series - 16 windows - $8400....i have to say though, i was not impressed w/ that product at all.

if i had to rank them now based on what i've seen i'd say Camelot #1, and it's a tie btwn the alside and vantage point. Pricing - Camelot is $550, Vantage point = 570, Alside = 610. that price includes full removal of existing windows & disposal, install of new windows, exterior finishing (flashing, insulation, sealing, siding work). all windows are custom sized.

this is for all white, plain vinyl windows. no wood grain or wood trim work.

thanks!

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Simonton is the best of that bunch.

uncle eddie

#9 Post by uncle eddie »

I would not pay that price for any of those products. Not to say that they are bad ( some more than others), but none are considerded to be top-flight options.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Simonton is above average, although the performance ratings would not put it in the "elite" or premium category. My best advice would be to get another quote or two if you want to find a top performer in that price range.

snuba911

#11 Post by snuba911 »

what are everyone's thoughts on the Serious brand windows. I have no idea where their prices are for their different grade windows but someone i know suggested looking at that brand as well....from what i see on their website they have 3 grades. anyone have any experience w/ them?

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

It is an old design relabled under that name... The company has been in the news recently as well, I'd do some searching on that.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

The were sold recently if I am not mistaken. Do your research.