Looking to Replace Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Fatboyslam

Looking to Replace Windows

#1 Post by Fatboyslam »

Hello All,
Looking to replace my existing 20 year old windows. Recently with Hurricane Sandy and other various rains, we have had water leaking into the house. Besides the normal reasons for window replace, drafty, cold, etc.

Looking to replace 22 double hung windows. I'm located in the Baltimore Area.

We are looking for something that is mid-to-high grade. I want something that i can put in and not have to worry about the windows for the next 15-20 years. We are looking at a full replacement, i want everything from the old window removed (sash, sils, etc). I don't want to constantly worry about issues.

I'm currently looking at:
Okna Enviro-star 800
Soft-Lite Elements
Soft-Lite Imperial

What price range i'm i looking at, and are there other windows I should be looking at?

What are your thoughts on these windows?

Thanks,

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Looking to Replace Windows

#2 Post by masterext »

Well you certainly chose some solid/ time tested brands. Choosing a reputable company who not only uses a solid product but also does a proper install is paramount. There is a gentleman who frequents these boards by the name of "Windows on Washington" who i am fairly certain covers your area. I do know he offers the higher quality brands and his company has one of the most stellar reputations in the industry. I strongly recommend you at the very least contact him. Do a search of his name on this forum and then click his contact button. He really is a great guy and extremely knowledgeable.

Fatboyslam

#3 Post by Fatboyslam »

Thank you. I actually do have an appointment with them coming up soon, and i'm very excited to know that they are very reputable.

Of the 3 windows, which one would you want in your house and why?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

I happen to think they are all great windows with the Okna 800 and soft lite Elements being very close whereas the Imperial is a small step below. I happen to like the look of the Okna 800 a bit more and I can't tell you how many customers love the look after its installed.

Fatboyslam

#5 Post by Fatboyslam »

I have seen Okna/Starmark listed. Whats the difference between a Okna Window and the Starmark window.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I hope Eric of WOW will jump in and answer your questions.
WOW is a great company to deal with. They have the knowledge, product, installation and character to be your best resource for windows and doors.

theWindowNerd....

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

The Starmark is a composite product. Generally speaking, the primary advantage is that you get a stainable interior, but there are some other differences as well.
On products, the 3 that you listed are very comparable in terms of quality and performance. The 800 series has a slimmer frame which will offer more glass area and most people find it a little bit more visual appealing, but that can be very subjective. You really can't go wrong with any of the three.
I do highly recommend Eric and his guys at Windows on Washington. I think that you'll be highly impressed with what they have to offer. :D

Fatboyslam

#8 Post by Fatboyslam »

Just met with a sales rep. from Windows on Washington. Had a great meeting and the Okna EnviroStar (800) Window looks outstanding. Looking forward to the estimate. Hoping it comes within my budget.

Question, regarding the mullion? Does Okna make 2 double hung windows with a mullion built in between.

I'm hoping that Okna does make it. I think from an structural and integrity, it would be better.

Would this be the best option, or having the installers create a mullion be a better option.

Thoughts?

Randy

#9 Post by Randy »

Okna offers a mull for joining two double hungs.

Fatboyslam

#10 Post by Fatboyslam »

Thanks Randy,

Do you know if its one big unit, or would it be 3 separate parts (window, mull, window)

Randy

#11 Post by Randy »

I'm not an Okna dealer, but I would assume that they offer the same choices as other premium manufacturers. The mull is a separate piece, which can be factory applied or field assembled - depending on the choice of the contractor.

masterext

#12 Post by masterext »

Yes, Okna does and they also have a very strong mulling process.

Fatboyslam

#13 Post by Fatboyslam »

just faxed the contract to WoW. Can't wait to get the process started!!! Anxiously waiting for them to call me and schedule the measurement!!

Decided to go with the Okna Enviro 800

21 DH (19 Deluxe, 2 Standard (for the garage) with full replacement)
2 Hoppers (Basement windows, 2 deluxe going with the insert)
1 Sliding Window (Kitchen, Deluxe version, going with insert to avoid damaging backsplash and the window is not expose to weather due to screened in porch)

Delaware Mike

#14 Post by Delaware Mike »

Very nice!

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

Excellent choice!