Window Replacement and I Need Your Help

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
chong131

Window Replacement and I Need Your Help

#1 Post by chong131 »

Hello Everone,

I am a newbie and I need your help and suggestions for window replacement on the West Coast.
We have windows that needs to be replace because of poor contruction and my contractor suggests new installation before he will warrant his work for no more leaks.
I am looking for a good quality replacement window that is affordable but will not be crap in a few years.
How would you rank the following windows and any other worthy company that I should definitely consider that is readily available on the West Coast?
Andersen 200, Anlin Catalina, Amerimax Craftsman, Atrium 3201, Milgard Style Line, Ply Gem Pro, Simonton Verona, American Craftsman 9500 (Home Depot) and Survivor Realbilt 5600 (Lowe's).
I have read reviews on all of these windows and I have seen poor reviews on Milgard and Simonton even though it's highly rated by JD Powers. It's also a favorite of many posters on this webside.
Can someone help me narrow this list to a select few that is good quality and affordable?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions to help me make the right choice.

Calvin

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Window Replacement and I Need Your Help

#2 Post by masterext »

American craftsman are junk and reliabilit is not far behind. I have heard Anlin make a decent product . Simonton is also an ok option with super spacer and steel reinforcement.although they advertise aluminum reinforcement, they also have a steel option from what I am told. However, not being a fan of such a conductive material being used as reinforcement opposed to fiberglass or composite, steel is less conductive than aluminum.
Although I am not sure which series the Verona is. Where I am, it's the 5500 or 9800 .

chong131

#3 Post by chong131 »

masterext wrote:American craftsman are junk and reliabilit is not far behind. I have heard Anlin make a decent product . Simonton is also an ok option with super spacer and steel reinforcement.although they advertise aluminum reinforcement, they also have a steel option from what I am told. However, not being a fan of such a conductive material being used as reinforcement opposed to fiberglass or composite, steel is less conductive than aluminum.
Although I am not sure which series the Verona is. Where I am, it's the 5500 or 9800 .
It's probably the 5500. What do you suggest that's good quality and affordable from the West Coast?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

You are kind of all over the map with your choices.

The Andersen 200 is not a bad window in wood but then you have a bunch of vinyl windows in the mix as well. Simonton is a pretty solid brand and what I know of Anlin and Amerimax is favorable too. Window brands are somewhat regional based on the Rockies and there is not a tremendous West Coast familiarity on the board.

Milgard is a big company too and seems to turn out a good product in vinyl.

What are you existing windows like and what are you wanting the new units to look and feel like?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

From what I saw on their website, the Anlin uses a pocket sill. If that's the case I do not recommend it. I would look closely at the simonton. See if there is a model above the Verona . The Verona is only a single hung, why wouldn't you want a double hung? Take a look at the Madiera.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Milgard, Simonton, and Amerimax are all regarded as being pretty solid. There are some other choices that have better energy efficiency ratings when you get to the midwest and NE regions (ie: colder climates), but on the west coast those are thought of highly.

chong131

#7 Post by chong131 »

Windows on Washington wrote:You are kind of all over the map with your choices.

The Andersen 200 is not a bad window in wood but then you have a bunch of vinyl windows in the mix as well. Simonton is a pretty solid brand and what I know of Anlin and Amerimax is favorable too. Window brands are somewhat regional based on the Rockies and there is not a tremendous West Coast familiarity on the board.

What are you existing windows like and what are you wanting the new units to look and feel like?
Thank you for
Windows on Washington wrote:You are kind of all over the map with your choices.

Thanks for your feedback.
We are replacing the old windows because they were leaking even though our house is new contruction. The house was not waterproof correctly. The main consideration now is a GOOD quailty window that's affordable and it's intalled properly and NO more leaks.
I may concentrate on no name brands like Alside, Amerimax, Anlin, Atrium, Ply Gem and Superior.
Any thoughts on these companies?

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Bigger issue on your end of going to be how will they be installed. What does the exterior of the home consist of?

chong131

#9 Post by chong131 »

Windows on Washington wrote:Bigger issue on your end of going to be how will they be installed. What does the exterior of the home consist of?
Stucco
I have an excellent contractor doing the installation.

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

I have not seen Simonton specify what material is used in there sash reinforcement nor have I seen an option on steel vs aluminum. Sash reinforcement probally not needed till larger sizes.I would say the 5500 is a pretty good window and better than okay,just not top tier.They can look bulky in smaller openings but look pretty good in larger openings espically full tear-outs.They offer many glass packages, so take the time to consider what would work best.

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

Where was the leak coming from before? Stucco is a tricky install and requires additional flashing details but should be well known to your installer.

Any of the brands that you have listed should serve you well when installed properly.

chong131

#12 Post by chong131 »

We narrowed our choices to the following windows because of price considerations.
We do not have the choice of doing a few at a time and install higher quality windows.
Anlin Monte Verde
Alside Fairfield 70 Series
Migard Style Line
Ply Gem Premier
Simonton Verona
Which one would you say is Good, Better and Best given only these choices and why?

Thanks in advance!

Calvin

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

Not sure if I'd call 5 choices "narrowed" :lol: ... but the thing is, manufacturers have alternate product offerings in different regions, so that can be very difficult to say since none of us are out in your neck of the woods. The thing that I can say is that out of that list, Simonton and Milgard are probably the most widely respected. Plygem has a decent "eastern" offering, but I have no idea what they are using out there. Alside is far from a "no name brand" (neither are Simonton and Milgard for that matter), but I understand that they do not have the same familiarity as say Pella or Andersen. Alside is pretty widely discussed, so I'd simply do some searching on that.

chong131

#14 Post by chong131 »

HomeSealed wrote:Not sure if I'd call 5 choices "narrowed" :lol: ... but the thing is, manufacturers have alternate product offerings in different regions, so that can be very difficult to say since none of us are out in your neck of the woods. The thing that I can say is that out of that list, Simonton and Milgard are probably the most widely respected. Plygem has a decent "eastern" offering, but I have no idea what they are using out there. Alside is far from a "no name brand" (neither are Simonton and Milgard for that matter), but I understand that they do not have the same familiarity as say Pella or Andersen. Alside is pretty widely discussed, so I'd simply do some searching on that.
I will provide updates once I get actual price quotes and what basic options are included and type of warranties.
Maybe a better description would be economy grade instead of no name brands.

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

chong, I would not say that economy grade would be an accurate description at all. When I mention Simonton and Milgard being widely respected it is because they are two of the best choices that you have available out there. Having a household name brand means absolutely nothing. What I would recommend you to do going forward, is make a spreadsheet of each product that you are considering. Fill the columns with the thermal (u-value) and structural (air infiltration, design pressure) ratings, along with a column for price, and one with a weighted score for your level of trust for each individual dealer and your feeling as to the quality of installation that you may expect from him. I would eliminate any products that do not have a welded, sloped sill design (for double hungs), and I would not even give the name of the brand any consideration. Look at the top 2 or 3 choices that you have based on those qualifications, and go from there. :D