suggestion please

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
rajsir

suggestion please

#1 Post by rajsir »

I am looking for windows replacement, contacted local contractors, 3 people gave 3 different manufacture windows, obviously they claim their is a best quality product, here is the names.
1. certainteed
2. ecoshield
3. homedepot

price wise certainteed cheaper, than ecosheild.

I couldn't decide which one is the best one price and quality. Please shed some light here... thx

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: suggestion please

#2 Post by masterext »

Certain teed is cheapest for a reason, stay away from it.
Ecoshield is made by Kasson and Keller and has average performance numbers, same with the Simonton 6500 from Home Depot. That said, I am not comfortable commenting on ecoshield due to the fact that I have no experience with it other than seeing the performance numbers which are average.
I would expand my search to include soft lite, Okna, Sunrise , himark. These are some high quality brands that most pro's will always feel confident recommending.
Things to look for:
1) A true welded sloped sill( no pocket sills or snap in slopes) no matter what you are told by a salesman.

2) UFactor of .28 or lower with double pane glass

3) air leakage rate on double hung of a .05 or lower

4) DP rating of 50 or higher

Secondary features
Foam filled frame
Composite meeting rail reinforcement ( not always necessary)
Composite spacer; although a true stainless steel spacer is certainly acceptable

Last but not least, an actual window contractor that knows what he is doing and not a family friend or "jack of all trades handyman" . Installation is paramount.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

What model from Home Depot? The Simonton 7500 isn't bad but I agree with everything that MasterExt says.

rajsir

#4 Post by rajsir »

The homedepot sales man said it is the special made for homedepot, i think he mentioned same manufacturer makes for Anderson windows.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Silverline windows.

Nothing special or even preferable that window.

Keep shopping and look at the Simonton option from Home Depot if you want an option that is even worthy of consideration.

rajsir

#6 Post by rajsir »

Ok, I will stop by homedepot. Thanks a lot guys.

rajsir

#7 Post by rajsir »

Any one used Kasson & Keller Windows? any feedback? now they are known as ECOSHIELD. thx

rajsir

#8 Post by rajsir »

Does anyone used United WIndows? any feedbac? thx a lot

Delaware Mike

#9 Post by Delaware Mike »

I would consider United to be a low-grade product in general. However, their very best series (don't know #) in a double-hung unit seems to fall into a mid-grade category and would be acceptable over some of the junk that comes off the shelf and blue or orange box stores and regional lumber yards.

Personally, I don't use United but their product lines are in many of the stores that I frequent and I get a chance to play with the displays and samples from time to time.