Anlin windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Lisab

Anlin windows

#1 Post by Lisab »

I am looking at the anlin window for 12 window and a patio door . My house was built in the 1960. I would like sound proof with different thickness glass windows. I got a quote from American vision window for $10,000. The package is with del mar stye windows , can you tell me if there is a different between the Catelina and the Del mar package, with the sound proof. I have four windows that has to be tamper for safety reason. Is this a good price. Another windows company quote me with a Catelina stye sound proof only nine front windows for $8,500. Can you tell me if this is a fair price. Thanks for your help.

HomeSealed

Re: Anlin windows

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Given the products that you are talking about, can I assume that you are on the West Coast? Unfortunately most of us that currently contribute here are NE and MW, so I can't give you a strong recommendation either way on the product. I can say though, that for the number of windows that you have, plus a patio door and some windows with tempered and/or sound package glass, the pricing seems to fall within the reasonable range for a good product. Best way to know for sure would be to get another bid or two, and/or continue your research. There have been west coast guys that have contributed over the years, so you can probably dig some info up on that. :wink:

jeff1995

#3 Post by jeff1995 »

Anlin is a respected company here in South Cal. You could also try Superior, Simonton, Amerimax or Milgard no particular order. All can offer you sound deadening glass packages. Milgard is the only company of the group to offer a dedicated line of sound deadening products and is bulky.
Good advise to get another quote. Good luck in your project.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The first and most common test result you will see with windows is the U value, most units can obtain similar results with dual pane. So how do you determine if a window is relly good if they all are U= .26 - .28.
I look at another test result that is found in the structural test data... AI= air infiltration. Tjis measures how much breeze or draft a window allows, the lower the test number the better.
< .09 AI is my minimum, my prefered is< .05AI.
Yep pretty tough but worth it.

Pacific Building

#5 Post by Pacific Building »

anthony wrote:The first and most common test result you will see with windows is the U value, most units can obtain similar results with dual pane. So how do you determine if a window is relly good if they all are U= .26 - .28.
I look at another test result that is found in the structural test data... AI= air infiltration. Tjis measures how much breeze or draft a window allows, the lower the test number the better.
< .09 AI is my minimum, my prefered is< .05AI.
Yep pretty tough but worth it.
Anthony,

A good measure is the structural rating (DP rating). DP rating typically are used for wind loading for commercial projects, but say a lot about the structure of a vinyl profile. Warranty can say a lot about the confidence a company has in a product. Look at how long the company has been in business, and their footprint. Is a company privately held, or public? family owned, or investor owned. These kinds of things really matter.

Ask to see the cross section of the profile, look for something that looks structural. Weight matters to, thin flimsy profiles are not as good as thick heavy profiles.

Hope that helps...

Jake

Pacific Building

#6 Post by Pacific Building »

jeff1995 wrote:Anlin is a respected company here in South Cal. You could also try Superior, Simonton, Amerimax or Milgard no particular order. All can offer you sound deadening glass packages. Milgard is the only company of the group to offer a dedicated line of sound deadening products and is bulky.
Good advise to get another quote. Good luck in your project.
M.I. is worth looking at as well. The EnergyCore and Homemaker 3 lines are offered with laminated glass, and can get STC ratings up in the 40s. Remember, you may not need the same sound control glass on all sides of your house.

Jake

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Design pressure is indeed worthy of consideration, although I put it third on my list after u factor and air infiltration.
That energy core product looks to be a step up for MI, however their reputation, business model, and product performance have been predominantly "builder grade", not premium.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote:Design pressure is indeed worthy of consideration, although I put it third on my list after u factor and air infiltration.
That energy core product looks to be a step up for MI, however their reputation, business model, and product performance have been predominantly "builder grade", not premium.
+1

It is nice to see them turning out some nicer stuff but I would like to see some observable and long term data on that window first given their track record.

MechAniX

#9 Post by MechAniX »

Reviving an old post in case it helps someone. I have a quote for Anlin Del Mar windows for $11,000. This is for 9 windows and 2... 9ft sliding patio doors. Low-e3, Argon, Infinit-e plus, and black ThermaCoat exterior color.