Replace Sliders with Double Hung

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
mooremj5

Replace Sliders with Double Hung

#1 Post by mooremj5 »

I currently have 1960's aluminum sliders and always just assumed I would replace them with sliders when the time came. I have had 2 estimates and am waiting on a third next week. One of the contractors recommends that I replace all of the smaller (~ 35" x 35") windows with double hung because they are stronger, there is no bottom rail for debris to catch in, and they are a little less expensive because many more are sold. I have 2 window in the front that he says would look better to remain as sliders and it would be more costly to replace with 2 double-hung. These are 72" wide by about 35 high. The window brand is Earthwise Solaris. The first contractors brand is Vinylmax Easton and he did not mention double hung. I am in the Richmond, VA area and both contractors are asking about $400 per window, installed and wrapped.

Can anyone offer an opinion on advantages/disadvantages of replacing sliders with double hung? Any comments on those brands? The dealer coming next week carries 4-5 brands including Okna and Simonton (sp?) as well as a cheaper window that competes with Window World and such. It will be interesting to see how these windows price out compared to my first 2 quotes.

Thanks in advance!

Mike Moore
Last edited by mooremj5 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

Re: Replace Sliders with Double Hung

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Your contract is somewhat correct.

Double Hung (as result of their function and design) are a bit more supported across the jamb sides and the interlocking mechanism makes them a bit more air tight as well. The sloped sill is also a bit better than the track of the slider as it is compared to shedding debris matter.

Of the units you have listed, the Okna is my favorite.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. The dh will be the superior performer. I'm partial to the okna of that group as well, as it will offer the best uvalues and air infiltration ratings of the bunch.
I'm not sure if windows on Washington serves the Richmond area, but you can find out hitting his get a quote button if interested. You won't find a better outfit to work with . :D

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

+1 on WoW
Your only criteria seems to be price, if that is the case then you should reconsider.
Cost is one of many important considerations, so is beauty, function performance, warranty, and installation to name a few. I tend to be more interested in performance and installation since I am an installer.
Full screens on sliders will help keep the track cleaner.
Be wise, gather all your info, review, then come back here for comments.

mooremj5

#5 Post by mooremj5 »

Okay, I have decided to go with sliders because I think they will look better given the square shape of most of the windows, so the original question is a moot point.

I do have quotes from 4 contractors for your comments.

The quotes are for 12 sliders (2 are 72” wide and the rest are ~35” square) and one ~9’ wide, fixed bow , 5 panels with grids, new head and seat made of wood)

Vinylmax/Easton : Sliders - $3650 Bow- $3500 Total - $7150
Earthwise/Solaris: Sliders - $5020 Bow - $2450 Total - $7470
Soft Lite/Pro: Sliders - $4480 Bow - $3370 Total - $7850
Okna/Insultec 500 Sliders - $5662 Bow - $4170 Total - $9829

The Okna dealer is the only one that services our area and I had a little problem getting the quote correctly. Also, they decided not to quote the siding work, which we will be doing at the same time as the windows. They were also ~ $1000 higher than the rest on 2 doors we will replace.

The other 3 contractors were comparable on the siding and doors. All are “A” rated on Angies List and were on time for the appointment, provided fairly detailed quotes with no high pressure sales.

Any comments and suggestions welcome. I would like to go with one contractor for all work if at all possible.

Thanks in advance!

mooremj5

#6 Post by mooremj5 »

anthony wrote:+1 on WoW
Your only criteria seems to be price, if that is the case then you should reconsider.
Cost is one of many important considerations, so is beauty, function performance, warranty, and installation to name a few. I tend to be more interested in performance and installation since I am an installer.
Full screens on sliders will help keep the track cleaner.
Be wise, gather all your info, review, then come back here for comments.
No, price is never my only criterion. I cannot ever recall going with the lowest price on any major project in my 37+ years as a home owner. I had one contractor (not included in my list) that never measured any thing and gave me an off the cuff price for windows, siding, and roofing. He seemed offended when I asked for something in writing. and was considerably lower than those I listed . I did not seriously consider hiring him.

However, price is always a consideration when you are looking at a total project of $18 - $20K . One might decide to go with a slightly lower quality in order to manage the entire project. All of the windows I have considered have Low E glass , argon, and a "Lifetime" warranty.

Thank you for your recommendation for full screens. I will look into their availability for the window I decide on.

Also, I checked and WoW does not service the Richmond, VA area.

Thanks,

Mike Moore

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I like either the Soft-lite or the Okna.
If all things were equal I would go with the Okna.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Those prices are VERY aggressive. While the Okna is the highest quote, you are under $500ea on those sliders which is less than what you'd typically see. No brainer on the Okna's IMO. The other choices are pretty much "contractor windows" that are purchased through distribution. The SL Pro is the best of those, but the 500 is definitely a step up. Essentially you are looking at an elite window for the price of an average one.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

The Soft-Lite pro is a good window as well and certainly on the depth chart of choices, solidly in position 2.

If you stick with options 1 or 2, you should be in good shape regardless.

Mike...sorry about not being in Richmond. We hope to be growing this year though so if you don't do the project just yet, keep us in mind for the future.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#10 Post by masterext »

You are getting excellent pricing on the okna 500 . its just such a no brainer here. my recommendation would be to jump all over it.
If you wait, hopefully windows on washington will be serving your area and you would have him do the install.

toddinmn

#11 Post by toddinmn »

I don't know if I would call the Okna a no brainer over the Pro. The performance number are about equal, the Okna has a sightly better U-value(0.27 vs 0.28). Okna's Air infiltration numbers are slightly high and out of recommended range at 0.09, I do not know Soft-Lites number. The Okna DP rating is slightly low at 40, can't locate Softlites number on this either. These numbers are on the Sliders. I would take the Soft-Lites and keep the 2K as long as all the installation detis are the same.

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I always do the DX package, U= .26

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#13 Post by masterext »

Due to the way slider windows are designed, they have inherently higher air leakage rates.

toddinmn

#14 Post by toddinmn »

Gerkins sliders come in at a 0.04 AI and the Andersen 100 series comes in at 0.08 AI. So there some tighter windows that have overcome the design.
Does anyone know what the AI numbers on the Pro are?

TheWindowNerd

#15 Post by TheWindowNerd »

This is strange but the Okna 400 slider is .01 (64 x 44), the 800 is .05 AI