Affinity Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
bgbrock

Affinity Windows

#1 Post by bgbrock »

There is an internet website claim by a window company that the Affinity window is far superior to the Okna 500 window. The only thing I cannot find are the performance ratings for the Affinity. I would like to get others perspectives on this window if I could please.

**The following is an excerpt from the website**

There are six STANDARD features of Affinity Elite which make it far superior to the Okna 500, and equal in every way and more, to the much more expensive Okna 800.

1) Affinity not only has fiberglass re-enforced meeting rails in their frames, but also re-enforced sashes that have a deep interlock for greater security. All their securing screws are embedded in this extra fiberglass re-enforcement, making the window more impregnable against weather conditions and against burglary! Okna does NOT have re-enforced sashes which are a key factor in window strength and security.

2) Affinity LOOKS LIKE A WOOD WINDOW! Because Affinity has CONCEALED tilt latches (and they use the strongest latch manufactured)- the latches are hidden from “street view.” This allows Affinity to have the symmetry and aesthetics of a wood window. Affinity windows have simple, even lines in the window sashes. Okna, like most vinyl windows, has busy-looking surface mounted tilt latches.

3) Affinity has the strongest window frame on the market today. The AAMA has rated the “design pressure” of Affinity as the best in the industry, better than Okna, AND better than the Anderson 400 and Marvin Integrity. Affinity, with a DP rating of 65, can withstand a Level 5 hurricane (over 160 mph)!

4) Affinity has extruded screens, which are also stronger and resists dents. Okna, like other vinyl windows, uses rolled aluminum that is less sturdy.

5) Affinity has a magnetic seal (like on your refrigerator doors) on the lower sash, locking out cold in the winter and heat in the summer. The Okna 500 does not have this important feature.

6) Affinity has a Constant Force balance system for much smoother window operation. Okna uses a string-spring “block and tackle” system where the string can break/malfunction much more easily.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Affinity Windows

#2 Post by masterext »

a " string spring", really .....are you kidding. okna uses a block and tackle balance system, the same balance system used by Marvin and Andersen for heavy wood windows. why? ask caldwell balance systems, they are one of the leaders in the manufacturing of both constant force and block and tackle and guess what their study shows? the block and tackle balance system lasts longer. the constant force is a good system but lets be real, the only reason companies use constant force is because its cheaper than the block and tackle system which utilizes a composite chord and NOT a string as you attempt to claim.

the Okna 500 has a lower air leakage rate than the Affinity ; Okna 500 is a .02 air leakage which is better than the Affinity and the 500 isnt even okna's top offering.
the okna 500 can withstand wind speeds of 171 mph...
The Ufactor on the Okna 500 is a .25 on double pane glass while Affinity is .27. affinity does also offer double pane that gets a ufactor of .24 and .22 but they are using " hard coat lowE" which is a very bad idea. why"? hard coat can scratch, cause glares, and most of all, significantly reduces its condensation resistance. thats who many companies steer clear of any hard coat LowE .
the screens: do you like the plastic "" squared corner keys" on the affinity screens? i highly doubt it. Okna uses a 45 degree miter on their screens creating an elegant look .
put the okna caasement next to the affinity and you will CLEARLY see what i mean.
By the way, the Okna 800 has a magnetic seal as well as composite sash reinforcement, a sash interlock , and a Full Length sash interlock.
do you like the look of the " fuzzy pads" the affinity uses in the sash corner ? or do you you prefer the look of the excalibur fuzzy pads? none of the higher end companies need to use fuzzy pads.

However, i do think Affinity's very top offering is a good window and I happen to like it.
that said, bringing a knife to a gun fight isnt the best idea.
Last edited by masterext on Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

I like the affinity window, but I don't know too many guys that you'll find that say it is better than Okna . In fact, I know several dealers that offer the affinity as their "drop" window if the okna is too pricey for someone.
I agree with masterext on just about all points.
Few more observations:
Not sure why they would compare the top affinity product to the second best okna, and even at that, the okna 500 has superior air infiltration and u value which are the two most critical ratings in determining performance.

Seems like a pretty silly comparison to me, but I guess the guy has to do something to make his window sound better. The fact that affinity has only been around for only a few years would also be a factor for me as a consumer ( if i were one, of course) whereas okna has been around for going-on 20 yrs, and is growing and expanding.
I will reiterate though that both are very good to excellent choices and at the top end of vinyl offerings. I'd probably put either one in my own house, and in fact, I do have HiMark okna 500's in my house. :D
Last edited by HomeSealed on Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The owners of Affinty like to talk about their history in the window business. What happened to those companies?

bgbrock

#5 Post by bgbrock »

Perfect...I knew I would get a truer perspective about these windows here on this forum, as the pros here are well respected and trusted.

Thanks guys! I am sure others will comment as the thread ages.

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

Since I work with those two product lines on a daily basis, I find that Affinity dealer's website claim kind of comical. Both are great windows. If one were to poll 100 folks as to the cosmetic appeal of both windows, I'd think you might find about an even split as to which one looks better. I like the exterior frame detail of the OKNA more so than that of the Affinity Energex. I do prefer an extruded screen typically over a rolled foam one, however I like OKNA's screen and think that they do a nicer job with the corners. The Affinity window is a very nice stout unit. I do think that OKNA has a edge with the the size of their manufacturing facility and equipment.

If I were the sales manager of the Affinity dealer I would take a totally different approach which is how I run my business, rather than try to nit pick technical details in which most homeowners are going to get lost with the verbiage. I'd push installation details. This is separates the boys from the men in this industry. If you're in the Philly or NJ area it's pretty easy to pick a lot of these guys apart because we have way too many hacks out there posing as professional mechanics!

uncle eddie

#7 Post by uncle eddie »

Wow! What a goofball! Clearly this guy has a vendetta against okna, otherwise why on earth would he choose one product to focus on out of hundreds of competitors?
I like the affinity product, but lets see if they survive 5 or 10 years from now. It might not be a terrible choice if their lack of history does not trouble you, but I'd steer clear of whoever posted that info on their website. Very tacky and unprofessional IMHO. In fact, this type of thing strikes me as a guy who may have been cut off by one manufacturer ( in this case okna) because he couldn't pay his bills and therefore also could not hook up with another more well established company like softlite or sunrise. That leaves new manufacturers that are trying to make a name for themselves so they are willing to take on a high risk account. Purely speculation on my part, but I'd put my money on it... And I'd also explore the option of a more honest and ethical choice of contractor.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

bgbrock,

There is probably so more back story here than is being discussed or should be discussed in an open forum. If you want to email me, I could probably give you a more detailed breakdown of the events.

We sell the Affinity window and it is a very solid and well produced window. More of our customers choose the Okna but I don't think you would do wrong with either.

bgbrock

#9 Post by bgbrock »

WoW- Thanks for offering to enlighten me as to why these claims are being made - no need for me to understand the events.

More importantly, one can pretty much read between the lines with the responses from the pros here.

Thanks again.