Best and worse?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
adventurous_guy

Best and worse?

#1 Post by adventurous_guy »

I'm a reasonably skilled DIYer, looking into replacing the windows in my 50 year old ranch house in Eastern MASS. I would like to remove the windows and replace them from inside. I can see that removing them will be an easy job.

What windows do folks recommend? Which ones should I stay away from? I can see that there are lots of recommendations to avoid the Andersen replacements. Thanks.

This site looks like it has lots of good info. I'm glad I found it.

Windows on Washington

Re: Best and worse?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What Andersen replacements? I think you are confusing Andersen with RBA (Renewal By Andersen). The RBA window is not available for DIY so that is a non issue.

What kind of window do you want in the home? Start there and you will get a bunch of good recommendations.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

When we stay away from andersen replacements, we mean andersen vinyl under the brand name silverline or american craftsman. Although there are many high end vinyl offerings that are much more energy efficient and air tight than the expensive wood windows such as marvin, the andersen vinyl is not one of them. Avoid that brand.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Forgot about that Paul.

The Silverline window is definitely a questionable choice.

adventurous_guy

#5 Post by adventurous_guy »

I was referring to the Andersen vinyl windows sold by Home Depot, perhaps oriented particularly to DIYers. I can't recall the name offhand, but I think some of the numbers were 100, 200, and 400. Perhaps Renewal by Andersen?

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Renewal is Andersen's high-end "dealer exclusive". It is not sold at home depot.
The primary Andersen products are the 100, 200, 400 series that you are talking about (along with some others), and are various combinations of wood with fibrex, vinyl, and fiberglass. Not my favorite line personally, but the upper lines are solid choices.
If you are looking at an ALL VINYL andersen, that would be a product produced by Silverline and either labeled as such, or as American craftsman. That product is geared toward low-cost more than anything else as the previous posts alluded to.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

As I said, in my opinion, Silverline ,american craftsman, or any other Andersen vinyl window is complete garbage and it looks like garbage as well. If you want a mid grade product, go to a building supply house and purchase the simonton 5500 . Although its not the higher end quality that we recommend, its a solid mid grade offering that is perfect for a DIYer.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

This thread should be under the DIY section of the site.
Under the Andersen flag they have the 400 Woodwright and 400 TnW insert versions. Under the E series there is the Talon insert.

One of my crews is installing a 5500 job right now, not the norm for us), poor QC on 6 units, the installers are very disappointed.

theWindow.nerd

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

The E-series is not sold through Home Depot in my area. The A-series would be available but is not worth the extra cost over the Woodright series. The new 100 series looks to be a nice window in the casement style windows but I don't care for the single-hung or slider. If looking for vinyl look at Lowes for their upper end Ply-Gem series, check out roofing/siding supply house ( Soft-Lite, Polaris and Simonton are available in some areas, or check out some local window companies that would sell direct.