Help me choose final 4 window companies in SE Wisconsin

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
DomiNation

Help me choose final 4 window companies in SE Wisconsin

#1 Post by DomiNation »

We live in Southeastern Wisconsin and are looking at having 21 window openings replace (48 panes). The house has LOTs of oak wood trim throughout the home and lots of wood integrated throughout the home. We have done a thorough job of interviewing 6 different installers/manufacturers. I've studied online the Keystone ratings vs AAMA ratings, etc... (one company really pushed the AAMA ratings as the "Gold" standard - no pun intended).

Currently, we are considering vinyl and composite (the Okna composite). The one advantage to the Okna Composite is that they can match the actual wood grain of our trim throughout the house and what is currently around the windows. Vinyl cannot do that. With vinyl, we will be changing the color of the window while keeping the current look of the 1x4 wood trim around each window. If we go this route, we'll be choosing a wood grain color that is a few shades darker than our vinyl trim.

We are also considering tear-out vs insert. Tear-out gives us more glass space while insert saves us money. We are budget conscious. This project is already going to cost a lot of money due to the size of the house. We can't afford a $40,000 project.

We are down to the following 4 firms who all provided solid appointments:

1) HomeSealed (installs Okna, Polaris, and Marvin). They are recommending the Okna Composite to match the wood trim around the house. The vinyl swatches were not as good of a match as the Stanek wood vinyl swatch (and the salesperson was great because he openly acknowledged that fact). The appointment was refreshing because he wasn't pushing one line of windows over a another (since he represents several strong brands). We were meeting with the owner and you can tell he cares deeply about customer satisfaction (can't find a negative review about them anywhere online). In fact, his company has FANTASTIC reviews on Angie's List. Okna was also recommended to me on another online forum. http://www.homesealed.com/

2) Great Day Improvements which installs Stanek (and is part of their conglomerate). Of the vinyl companies, the Stanek window wood grain provides the best match for looking nice in our home. The rep has been thorough and great to work with throughout - actually come out to our home twice already. They promote the fact their windows are put together as one in the factory (welded frame vs attaching 3 separate windows together onsite during installation). http://www.greatdayimprovements.com/

3) All-American Windows who sell Soft-Lite windows. Their vinyl wood grain was also a good match. They really push the fact they have the "Gold" standard from AAMA and that they have the strongest windows in the industry. I was a bit surprised the salesperson who has been in the industry for over 11 years had never heard of Okna or HiMark (same manufacturer). He was nice. I had previously been recommended Soft-Lite windows from a few online sources. http://www.allamericanwindow.com/

4) WASCO which makes their own windows (factory is 15 minutes away) here in Wisconsin. Everything is local and they seem to have a strong reputation locally. http://www.wascowindows.com/

Thoughts and feedback?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Help me choose final 4 window companies in SE Wisconsin

#2 Post by masterext »

I really like HomeSeal's option, its a great product and that company has an excellent reputation for quality work . Sounds like a no brainer to me.
For what its worth, i find it extremely hard to believe that the soft lite rep never heard of okna. Thats something alot of sales reps are trained to say; " never heard if them".
Last edited by masterext on Thu May 16, 2013 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DomiNation

#3 Post by DomiNation »

Thanks, Masterext.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

I know it will appear "Homerish" but I prefer both the contractor and option in #1.

The window is superior and I have seen plenty of HomeSealed work and know the type of guy and contractor that he is. You won't find a better product or guy to deal with.

DomiNation

#5 Post by DomiNation »

Thanks, Windows on Washington. Your feedback is definitely appreciated. With you being located in DC, how have you seen HomeSealed's work?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

I would also add that you should expect to pay more for the composite even without staining. Yields a gorgeous product when stained, but that will add to the cost.composite is an expensive material but very solid and nice looking.
Best way to compare apples to apples is to look at the pricing for each vinyl offering.
A replacement is a great way to save some money( opposed to fill tear out) and it usually renders excellent results in terms of air tightness.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

DomiNation wrote:Thanks, Windows on Washington. Your feedback is definitely appreciated. With you being located in DC, how have you seen HomeSealed's work?
We have discussed specific installation techniques as well as traded photos and videos of applications.

DomiNation

#8 Post by DomiNation »

Masterext, we have shared with HomeSealed our budget. Due to our house, we need the composite to be stained to fit the woodwork (HomeSealed agreed this is the best option because of how much wood is in our house). If we can afford it, we'd like to do a tear-out so that we don't lose window pane space (IF we can afford in our budget).

Windows by Washington, thank you for explaining. Seeing professionals who share with each other is always a positive.

We are waiting on getting the proposal from HomeSealed. Hopefully, we'll be receiving it any minute.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Composite and the ability to custom stain are the best options. Obviously the composite material and the labor involved in the staining are premiums over a vinyl window with a standard laminate interior.

Randy

#10 Post by Randy »

HomeSealed's record of extremely happy customers should weigh heavily in your decision. His commitment to customer satisfaction, and serving the needs of his customer ahead of himself are a big part of his success.

As to the factory mulling vs. field mulling, there really isn't a great advantage to factory mulls. In fact I would argue that with triple units it may be better to seal them in the field since torquing the windows in transportation or installation could break the seal that was installed at the factory.

Soft-lite makes a great product, but it's equivalent not superior to Okna/HiMark.

At the end of the day, you're buying the complete package - product and service. Brandon is offering one of the highest performing products and his installation and service should give you comfort in such a big purchase.
Last edited by Randy on Tue May 21, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

masterext

#11 Post by masterext »

Regarding glass loss, unless the openings are very small, you would be pleasantly surprised as to how negligible the glass loss actually is with replacement opposed to full tear out.

DomiNation

#12 Post by DomiNation »

Thanks, Masterext.

DomiNation

#13 Post by DomiNation »

We had our final window installation appointment today and it was an installer who comes highly recommended to us by a contractor we have great respect for (has done wonderful work in our home) here in the Milwaukee area (WI).

The window installer puts in PlyGem's Premium vinyl windows (he is part of Lowe's). The installer has a great reputation. Someone told me in the past to stay away from the BIG BOX stores. In this case, the installer has a fantastic reputation and so does the lead person at Lowe's.

Here is the challenge: Why NOT PlyGem? They are 33% lower priced than everyone else we've talked with (Soft-Lite, Okna, Sunrise, and Stanek) AND their efficiency ratings appear to be almost the same. They would be installing their 3800 Premium Vinyl Replacement Windows (casement) with HP Max2 Triple Pane and the Energy Package. The U-value is listed as .23 which is still better the U-Value I'd be getting with the other firms' double pane windows (the other installers all recommended double pane to keep our prices down).

I've been told over and over again that when it comes to windows, the installer is ESSENTIAL. In this case, we appear to have an installer with a fantastic reputation and proven track record.

Everyone else is billing us around $30,000 for this project while this contractor offering PlyGem's Premium Vinyle windows is coming in under $20,000. If we don't go with PlyGem, we are favoring Soft-Lite installed by HomeSealed (also fantastic customer service). However, paying 50% more for Soft-Lite is a huge difference. Two of you on here have endorsed HomeSealed and we really like them too. In this case, we'd like the answers to stay focused on PlyGem. THANKS!!

Thoughts and feedback will be greatly appreciated.

masterext

#14 Post by masterext »

plygem will be cheaper simply because is cheaply made. i highly recommend using a better engineered window, plygem is somewhat flimsy and looks on the cheqp side.

DomiNation

#15 Post by DomiNation »

Thanks, Masterext. In what ways is it made flimsier? They are welded units like others we've considered.

At the appointment, they brought an actual window which were able to setup next to our current window. Their window looked very nice.

You've been helpful with past posts. If you are able to share how they are flimsier, then I can share those specifics with my wife.