Narrowing Down My Window Choices

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
kailor

Narrowing Down My Window Choices

#1 Post by kailor »

Preface:
Please bear with me while I try to get the answers I need to help me make the choice in replacement windows that is right for ME. I appreciate the help of the professionals on this forum and the inputs from average consumers. This is valuable information when making a high-dollar decision such as replacing 20 windows in your home.

The all-wood double-hung windows are original to my 1962-built home. The window glazing is curled, cracked and a great deal of it has fallen away from each window pane. 18 of 20 windows simply will not operate due to being stuck. It is time to replace ALL of them. My location is north Alabama (not terribly cold; yet very hot and very humid).

1. Should I remove all interior window trim to ensure accurate measurement for replacements?
2. Should I get all-vinyl or fiberglass windows?
3. Double or triple paned windows?
4. Which windows (that you professionals feel are the top 3-5) are available to zip-code 35801?
5. What is a fair price to install each window (I know this is subjective)?

My wife prefers windows with the stained wood appearance on the interior side, and a tan/taupe (or maybe some other color) appearance on the exterior side. I want functionality and longevity (looks are important, too). The research at times certainly feels daunting to say the least. Thanks in advance for all inputs. I was impressed with the Sunrise Vanguard demonstration that we received last year.

kailor

Re: Narrowing Down My Window Choices

#2 Post by kailor »

Can someone tell me the difference between the Sunrise Vanguard and the Essential lines?

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

Sunrise has their regular series (Sunrise), Verde, Vanguard, and Restorations all based upon on basic design. The Vanguard is one step down from the Restorations line which is their premier flagship window. The concept of the Vanguard series was to attract triple-glazed Great Lakes Plygem dealers that had not converted over to Sunrise from Great Lakes.

It only differs from the Restorations by the locking system pretty much. Fibercore meeting rail reinforcement, accidental glass breakage, foam filled sashes in addition to the master frames, and OptiView screening are all standard to the Vanguard series over the regular series. The Verde and some of the other various other private labeled windows that Sunrise offers are basically just below the Vanguard, but above the regular Sunrise series. The Restorations is also privately labeled for the Owens Corning basement Sunroom outfits under their name which I forget what it's called right now as it's my third 16 hour day in row working non-stop.

The Essentials is pretty much a completely different window that was designed to be a last ditch effort product offering when all of the other lines are beyond a homeowners budget. It shares virtually nothing of the other Sunrise lines. It's a very basic low to mid-grade window and I installed a few of them when they first introduced them several years ago into a garage for a friend of mine. I was disappointed with the window and vowed to never install them again as I have better budget oriented windows.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

While the Sunrise extrusion is very nice, the Essentials is quite a step below as Delaware Mike detailed.

I would not use it in any application I can foresee as there are much better budget minded windows.

kailor

#5 Post by kailor »

Delaware Mike and Windows on Washington, thanks for the replies. So for Sunrise the ordered top 2 are Restorations and then Vanguard. I talked to my wife last night and told her that I did not want stain-able windows that would then require varnishing. I feel that this would degrade the performance of each window. What other name brand windows might you suggest for north Alabama? I can spend money but always try to achieve a happy quality/value/price medium. Am I right in considering all-vinyl windows for the region I live in?

In past correspondence, I believe WoW recommended Okna but I can't get that particular brand in my area. Isn't Starmark made/owned by Okna? I'm just not sure which quality windows are available to my area.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Kailor,

If you give me 6 months, we can chat about supplying you with product if need be.

kailor

#7 Post by kailor »

WoW, I feel as though we'd probably have this task completed by then....BUT YOU NEVER KNOW.
I assume a dealer is getting established down here in my area. In your opinion, just how much better do you believe Okna to be over Sunrise, or other highly rated windows?

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Can't argue with either of those choices. Both are very good and would perform well in your home.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. The Okna/Himark 800/Envirostar, Sunrise Restorations, and Softlite Elements are probably the top 3 vinyl windows available (save some imports or very low volume specialty products). Everybody prefers one or the other for various reasons, but all are truly elite choices. Regarding your specific situation, the Vanguard is a very small step down from the Restorations, so certainly still an excellent choice.