Sealant/Caulking Showing

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
melrbu

Sealant/Caulking Showing

#1 Post by melrbu »

I just had my windows replaced and the clear silicone sealent/caulking can be seen on the outside edging on the windows. Is this normal and acceptable?
thanks

TheWindowNerd

Re: Sealant/Caulking Showing

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

This will vary by contractor. We typically use white on white and clear/translucent on all else. Sometimes we use clear down white capping against brick as this gives the cleanest site line.
Another variable with exterior caulk is what we are caulking to, if it needs to be paintable we will switch to some paintable sealant.

TheWindowNerd...

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

melrbu wrote:I just had my windows replaced and the clear silicone sealent/caulking can be seen on the outside edging on the windows. Is this normal and acceptable?
thanks

Is this something the installer did, or are you talking about clear silicone squeezing out around the glass?

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

From your description, it sounds like a glazing issue meaning that when the insulated glass unit was set into the sash some of the clear hot melt/silicone squeezed out? It it's pretty bad I'd say it's not normal or acceptable, however it's all to quite common. Can you post up some pictures?

Some window manufacturers glaze the their insulated glass units into the sashes with double-sided tape, while others utilize a silicone type wet bed type of process. The older silicones were pretty easy to work with and clean up, but the new "super" sealants like Sunrise's "hot melt" (not sure what the proper name is but that' what they call it) set up so fast and strong that I haven't found a tool yet to cut it without breaking any glass.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 to Delaware Mike's comment.

Sounds like glazing sealant that oozed out. Pretty common place occurrence.

melrbu

#6 Post by melrbu »

I can't get the pic to upload but this is clear caulking that the installer put around the frame of the window after it was intsalled. I saw him with the caulking gun. I hope this helps.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

melrbu wrote:I can't get the pic to upload but this is clear caulking that the installer put around the frame of the window after it was intsalled. I saw him with the caulking gun. I hope this helps.
can't say for sure without a pic, but it would certainly be normal for an installer to caulk around the perimeter of a window after installation.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

I am not a fan of clear sealants on window frames or on trim and don't like silicone except for setting glass into frames. I usually use vulkem matched to the color of brick or stucco and OSI against j matched to the j if needed. I don't think silicone is as good as polyurethane based sealants nor do they look as good.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Where you been partner?

+1 to Todd's assessment. Silicones are best suited for bathrooms and kitchen areas.

Delaware Mike

#10 Post by Delaware Mike »

+2 to Todd. As much as I love the ease of working with high-grade silicones like Novaflex, I feel it hurts the future appearance of the exterior capping detail once the silicone gets dirty. When working with a white window and contrasting colored capping we typically very carefully run white OSI Quad down the perimeter of the window as to not spill or over-tool the white quad onto the capping. The return seems of the capping obviously get color matched Quad sealant and onto the tie into the siding veneer. I've found from re-visting retrofit projects as the years pass this produces the cleanest appearance if done with care and precision.

I do keep Geocel & Novaflex clear in the truck at all times for door thresholds and back caulking.

toddinmn

#11 Post by toddinmn »

WOW, I got a daytime and it been a little busy.
Silicone is nice when it's 10 below or for setting glazing, but I don't even like it in showers anymore. It also seems hard to get away from it with glass block now, jury is still out on that one.

Guy

#12 Post by Guy »

I don't know of many installers who use clear silicone anymore. Most complain its to difficult to work with. It also won't hold any paint if touch up is required. I'll only use it in areas I need invisible sight lines as stated above. I love the silicone because its all we had back in the old day. We had to glaze our own glass in with spring clips and finish caulk the gaps. You learn how to do it well after you have complaints. Sounds like your installer was sloppy and didn't care. Caulking is an art! You have to have a learned skill to do it right. There's not many quality installers that can caulk well. It's usually the job of the Old Timers (like myself) that do the finish caulking. I taught my son when he was twelve to do it right. I don't trust many others to do it. Depending on what it's attached to it can be easily removed and done properly. Just file a complaint. It's not uncommon. Good Luck!!!