200+ unit apartment complex replacing windows- need help!

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
JMBroadmoor

200+ unit apartment complex replacing windows- need help!

#1 Post by JMBroadmoor »

I manage an apartment complex in Jefferson City, MO and we are replacing the 35 year old aluminum windows that were originally installed with vinyl, clear glass windows. In total we have over 900 single-hung, sliding windows, and patio doors that we are replacing. Right now we have bids from Anderson, Jeld-Wen, Pella, and Cascade.

We are very cost motivated for this project and are looking at well-made but inexpensive windows- no low-E or argon gas necessary. The warranty and customer service is also very important as we are dealing with a large volume of windows and expect some to be defective. Currently Anderson is in the driver's seat with Jeld-Wen a close second. I have not heard good things about Pella so we are not taking their bid seriously unless they come back and blow us away on price. I am not familiar with Cascade but any input would be much appreciated.

With cost being equal, which company out of these four have members had the most success with? Also, is there anybody else I should be considering for this project?

Thanks!
Last edited by JMBroadmoor on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: 200+ unit apartment complex replacing windows- need help!

#2 Post by masterext »

If cost is the biggest factor , you will be getting low end windows, there is no way around that irregardless of how many you are buying. being very budget conscious, unfortunately you will be forced to use a very Low Quality brand which andersen, jeldwin, and pella certainly are. I am assuming these are vinyl windows? If so, each of the aforementioned brands are a at the very bottom of the barrel in terms of quality, looks, and energy efficiency.

Higher quality brands would be Sunrise, Okna, Himark, Soft Lite, and Gorell.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

To give you suggestions on brands it would be helpful to know the city the project is in.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Of that 4, Andersen.

I would entertain some other bids. Why wouldn't you spec Low-e?

Who is doing the install? If you want to shoot over the specs, I am sure we can tell you if the bid is any good.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I would 100% spec low-e for the project. It won't be that much more and it does much more than just help with heating. It also helps in the summer for keeping the place cool, plus it provides UV protection which will protect your interior trim, curtains, floors and furniture. It will also help to keep solar gain under control so you don't get run out of the place from excess heat in summer. On this big of a project it shouldn't cost hardly anything to add it and I wouldn't think of not having it if it were me.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Your thought process escapes me. You say that you have not heard anything good about a certain mfg and do not seriously consider them, yet if the knock your socks off with a low price then you will consider it. Their low price and terrible service really don't bother you that much.
We all understand a budget and getting the best value.
1st I would suggest looking for an independent window installer. Do not deal directly with any mfg.
Use a mid grade window at minimum, but know your numbers for the low and high end choices. This means you have to understand windows and DP, AI, wall thickness, seal failure rates, etc. Perhaps you should hire a consultant that has nothing to gain from the sale or install. Windows on Washington, Homesealed, or Window4U have the chops to provide that type of help.