Info on Slocumb Pro Tech 177 & Series 40 Windjammers

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Abn1sg

Info on Slocumb Pro Tech 177 & Series 40 Windjammers

#1 Post by Abn1sg »

I like to know if anyone is familiar with Assure Windows which is being sold as an exclusive ABC premium window by ABC seamless. I am being told that the double hung windows are made by Newtown-Slocumb and the so called premium window has a U factor of .27 & SHG .19 and their Super premium window a U factor of .22 & SHG .18. Been quoted for 12 DH windows around $4400 for the premium and $6k for the super premium.

Also looking at a different company that installs Series 40 Windjammers, U factor .30 & SHG .19, for around $5k; I think they are made by Atrium but not sure, therefore any info on this as well will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Last edited by Abn1sg on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

toddinmn

Re: Info on Assure Windows and Series 40 Windjammers

#2 Post by toddinmn »

I'd pass on the Windjammers , not the best window and better options for not much more.Not familiar with the Assures.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The most critical test number to help eval a window is the AI (air infiltration). AI is a structural test number and measures on much air will leak through under pressure. It is not the only thing to pay attention to, but it quickly sorts out winners from losers.
I would not buy anything that has an AI > .09 . At .1 and above you will notice drafts.
My suggestion is that you buy something that is < AI .05 . At this level you will not have drafts.

theWindowNerd...

Abn1sg

#4 Post by Abn1sg »

Found some additional info, Newtown Slocumb mid grade Windows are the Slocumb pro tech 177 series with Ultraflect Technology; hopefully someone will know more about these windows now; thanks.
Last edited by Abn1sg on Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

ABC is selling Slocomb? The pro tech 177 seems like a pretty good window.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Can't comment on that window specifically, however I'd agree with anthony that the performance #'s will tell the story in large part, regardless of what name is on the label.

Abn1sg

#7 Post by Abn1sg »

anthony wrote:The most critical test number to help eval a window is the AI (air infiltration). AI is a structural test number and measures on much air will leak through under pressure. It is not the only thing to pay attention to, but it quickly sorts out winners from losers.
I would not buy anything that has an AI > .09 . At .1 and above you will notice drafts.
My suggestion is that you buy something that is < AI .05 . At this level you will not have drafts.

theWindowNerd...
Just finish talking to a Slocumb Sales Rep that the local company told me to call to get this info. Slocumb rep told me that the Air Infiltration/Air Leakage for the Pro Tech 177 series with Ultraflect Technology was .11 and that I could verify this by checking it out on NFRC under Earthwise; however when I did, it does not list anything under air leakage; hmmmmm.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Info on Assure Windows and Series 40 Windjammersa

#8 Post by masterext »

A 1.1 seems about right for that window. Who told you ABC offers Slocomb? They dont.
Asure is a simonton window. I do prefer the slocom 177 over simonton.

Abn1sg

#9 Post by Abn1sg »

masterext wrote:A 1.1 seems about right for that window. Who told you ABC offers Slocomb? They dont.
The ABC Seamless Siding and Window company owner here in Georgia is the one that came out and did his presentation stating they were Slocomb windows and i do recall seeing the NFRC label stating it was a Newtown-Slocumb brand however he did give me a brochure that says "Assure Windows, an exclusive ABC premium window" which doesn't say anything about it being a Slocumb brand window. I even asked the Slocumb window representative why the ABC owner gave me that brochure instead of a Slocumb window brochure since he was supposedly showing me a Slocumb window and he stated that the owner probably just gave me the wrong brochure. :shock: Like just comparing windows wasn't hard enough! :roll:

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

Abn1sg wrote:
anthony wrote:The most critical test number to help eval a window is the AI (air infiltration). AI is a structural test number and measures on much air will leak through under pressure. It is not the only thing to pay attention to, but it quickly sorts out winners from losers.

theWindowNerd...
Just finish talking to a Slocumb Sales Rep that the local company told me to call to get this info. Slocumb rep told me that the Air Infiltration/Air Leakage for the Pro Tech 177 series with Ultraflect Technology was .11 and that I could verify this by checking it out on NFRC under Earthwise; however when I did, it does not list anything under air leakage; hmmmmm.
NFRC does not do the structural testing (ie: air infiltration, design pressure, etc) and the info that they publish is rather spotty. You'll want to ask your sales person for a structural test data sheet.
... All of this confusion between products seems really weird. Maybe the sales guy is new?

Abn1sg

#11 Post by Abn1sg »

HomeSealed wrote:
Abn1sg wrote:

theWindowNerd...
NFRC does not do the structural testing (ie: air infiltration, design pressure, etc) and the info that they publish is rather spotty. You'll want to ask your sales person for a structural test data sheet.
... All of this confusion between products seems really weird. Maybe the sales guy is new?
I don't know; seems to me if he is the president/owner of his own company, he should have been more detailed in his presentation, oh well...I just got done getting another estimate from a Simonton window installer; much more info out there on them and most are very positive. He showed me the basic window, the 5050 model however looking towards the 5500 so I can match two of the 12 windows that I'm replacing with the wood trim interior.

uncle eddie

#12 Post by uncle eddie »

The Simonton lines are a bit overrated in my opinion. Suspect quality and middling performance, but they do have the reputation for taking care of their customers... But then again, so does alside.
I'd run from whatever company that you have been dealing with. Uninformed at best, dishonest at worst.

Abn1sg

#13 Post by Abn1sg »

masterext wrote:A 1.1 seems about right for that window. Who told you ABC offers Slocomb? They dont.
Can you elaborate why you prefer the Slocumb over the Simonton? Thanks.

masterext

#14 Post by masterext »

Although Slocomb has a 1.1 air leakage number which is not horrible, its still better than simonton. slocomb also has a lower uFactor than simonton which means its more energy efficient. lastly, the slocomb is built better with a better sill design. Keep in mind i am referring to the slocomb 177.

Abn1sg

Re: Info on Slocumb Pro Tech 177 & Series 40 Windjammers

#15 Post by Abn1sg »

Update: I emailed the ABC owner and he replied stating that the windows he demonstrated to me are the Slocumb windows and the Assure window brochure he handed me was for another type of window from a different manufacturer that he also sells however they are more expensive than the Slocumb windows and that he gave me that brochure without telling me the above.

Well, as least I got that cleared up. I still have one more window company coming this evening for their presentation and then it will be time to decide. I appreciate everyone here that has made their recommendations and suggestions. Will f/u after this evening.

BTW, does it matter whether an installer uses non expanding foam or expanding foam for installing the windows? TIA.