Okna 400 series or Champion?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
adunifon

Okna 400 series or Champion?

#1 Post by adunifon »

My wife and I are trying to decide between Champion vinyl replacements and Okna 400 series replacements. Any recommendations either way? The quotes are both in the ballpark of each other.

Also -- thoughts on how much per window installed these should run?

We are replacing 19 windows.

Thanks in advance!

TheWindowNerd

Re: Okna 400 series or Champion?

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would pick the Okna 400.
Price is based on the product it size and options. Also the scope of work for the installation. Your volume is decent so that will not be a negative factor.
Additionally each region of the country has their own labor cost and each installer has their own overhead.

theWindowNerd...

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Where are you located? I ask because that will dictate which glass package may be more appropriate. I like the Okna 500 a bit better than the 400 for a few bucks extra, but the 400 is still better than the Champion unit IMO (I have installed both). For an unbiased comparison, look at the thermal and structural ratings of each product. U-value, SHGC, air infiltration, and design pressure. I Champion does not publish their structural data (air infiltration and DP) but the windows are tested so they should furnish a report if you push hard enough. Those ratings (AI and DP) not only tell you how leaky the window will be, but they give a great indication as to the manufacturing tolerances and overall strength of the unit.
Pricing will vary based on region, install circumstances, product options, etc. If you give us some more info on that we can generally let you know if the price is or is not within the norm.

adunifon

#4 Post by adunifon »

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm in Dayton Ohio -- so SW Ohio area.

Thanks!!

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Is the Champion window still based on a pocket sill?

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

My favorite Okna is the 800DX.

adunifon

#7 Post by adunifon »

Champion window is still based on a pocket sill

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

It has been some years since I installed them, but I do believe that it still has a pocket sill. This aspect alone is a major drawback for me, but as I mentioned earlier, the thermal and structural ratings will show an advantage for the Okna lines as well, particularly in "deluxe" trim. In your location, be weary of anyone trying to push a glass package with a very low SHGC. You'll find products that have an impressive u-value but at the expense of solar heat gain which can be detrimental. You can actually get really detailed with it and choose glass based on each face or your home, landscaping, etc, however most urban/suburban homes in a cooler climate like OH will be good with a moderate SHGC like .25 or higher. Once you get down into the low .2's or teens it is less than ideal.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Ask the salesperson of the Okna 400 for an additional quote for the 500DX and the 800DX, see samples.

theWindowNerd.com

uncle eddie

#10 Post by uncle eddie »

Installed the Champion product in another life. I'd seriously consider additional options in that price range.

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

adunifon wrote:Champion window is still based on a pocket sill
That fact alone would disqualify it from consideration in my world. I have personally observed the failure of pocket sills and it is not a mythical occurrence.

It does happen and given the advancements in sloped sill design, I am not sure why someone would still produce a pocket sill.