Crusader series or alside

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
lissars923

Crusader series or alside

#1 Post by lissars923 »

Hi!
I am trying to determine what estimate to go with. I have had two different ones. One with Alside Ultramaxx and no tempered glass and one with Crusader series Optiflex? I can't make out the guy's writing with tempered glass. Any advice is much welcomed. I am so confused.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Crusader series or alside

#2 Post by masterext »

I can tell you my opinion on the alside ultramaxx is not very good. It has a high air leakage rate, a poorly designed sill ( pocket sill), and its also very bulky looking. Plenty of higher quality windows available. To name a few, Okna, Soft Lite, Sunrise, Gorell. I will need to look into the crusader for you.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The crusader is typically a window made by N E Building Products out of Philly. It uses a very different glazing system, sashlite.
I would suggest that you us at least two criteria for the window selection:
A u value equal to or less than .26 in double pane glass
An air infiltration rating, AI, equal to or less than .05 . The lower the test result the better as this is how much draft the window allows.
OK, so that is a little about product selection.
Next you have to find an excellent contractor. Turn up your BS meter to high and if you get an buzz on it deselect that choice.

theWindowNerd...
Last edited by TheWindowNerd on Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sounds like you should probably keep shopping based on the feedback from the two posters.

Not a fan of the pocket sill on the Ultramaxx and the NE Building Products Crusader has mixed reviews to put it mildly.

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

I can't fathom a respectable tradesman recommending either of those 2 windows? The Crusader is designed in a manner that is all that bad, but from a visual standpoint it's one of most unattractive windows I've ever encountered. It's blue color matches nothing on your house ever. It has weatherstripping at the bottom of the screen track area towards the outer part of the sill where water drains and will become basically black or green within weeks and unless you're going to clean that area weekly with bleach you're not going to be happy.

NE Building Products is so close to OKNA that I think most of the experienced local guys to that area have switched over a much better product.