First time buyer of replacement windows..need a little help

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
dooo42

First time buyer of replacement windows..need a little help

#1 Post by dooo42 »

So, my wife and i are starting to replace windows a little at a time because they are starting to fall apart and want to start with our bedroom which has 4 windows. I live in rhode island so i need a mid-grade window that will stand up to heat and snow..etc...i've been looking around but so many brands..big and small. My neighbor is a carpenter that does this stuff for a living and has helped me out a few times and he said he would help me choose and install them for me. He deals with a local company that sells mathews brothers windows and he got me an estimate of $550 dollars for each window--$350 for window and $200 for install. What do you think of the price? The window is double paned, argon gas, titled, vinyl replacement throught out, screen.. etc. Another big thing is the price for labor. you think that is a fair price for install? He just installed alcoa windows on his own house but i don't know if those are any good. Also, if you got good recommendations for window brands let me know. thanks

HomeSealed

Re: First time buyer of replacement windows..need a little help

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Can't comment on the product, but that price is definitely fair for a good window installed. I'd check out Okna, Softlite, Sunrise, and Polaris as top choices.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Please check the following test result for every window you consider.
U value, the lower the better, in double pane you should be seeing .26

AI, air infiltration, this is a structural test that measure how much draft the window lets in, some companies do not like you to know this.
Again the lower the better. I would not consider a window that was not .09 or less, and my suggestion to you is it should be .05 or less, that way you will not have drafts.

theWindowNerd...

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

The price could be high or low depending on what type of window, options and size.
The install price could be high or low depending on site conditions, whether or not the exterior is being capped, If the installer has insurance, license, is pulling a permit, install methods, warranty, ect.

uncle eddie

#5 Post by uncle eddie »

$500-ish is very good for a professional install and cap. Period.