CertainTeed Replacement Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
DavefromMD

CertainTeed Replacement Windows

#1 Post by DavefromMD »

Got a quote on replacement windows using the Cretainteed Bryn Marr III window.
I understand it is manufactured by MI in a plant in PA.
Any thoughts on the quality of this window?

Consumer Reports had tested the Bryn Marr II window and it seemed decent - not the best, but more middle of the road and did well in the air and water infiltration tests.

I also received a quote for an Owens Corning vclass window that is made by Sunrise. It was more expensive but from what I can tell seems to be a bit better window.

HomeSealed

Re: CertainTeed Replacement Windows

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Hi Dave,
Unfortunately the publication that you mentioned has a very limited scope in terms of the products that it tests. That MI unit actually has one of the WORST air infiltration rates on the market at .29 if my memory serves correct (AAMA/industry minimum is .30). Its appearance is fine and it is "dudded-up" with some bells and whistles, however they are nothing more than smoke without fire IMO. By comparison, that Sunrise unit should check in around a .05 AI rating, and a product like the Himark/Okna 800 hits <.01 (that is the lowest number published). VERY significant differences in quality and performance...
The Sunrise is a higher end choice, and the clear winner between those two. That said, I'd be remiss if I did not mention that one of the most respected board contributors serves MD. I give my highest personal recommendation to Windows on Washington. You can find him posting in most every thread, and he has a "get a quote" button by his name if you are interested in contacting him. Excellent products, better people. :D

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

Dave
Anything by MI Windows is garbage and i am speaking on behalf of all window pro's, this also includes the Certainteed Bryn Mawr , which is not a solid mid grade window, its lower end. Its a very flimsy window and the Sunrise is in a COMPLETELY different league( much better).
I would look into the better brands such as HiMark/ Okna, Soft Lite, sunrise, or gorell.
If im not mistaken, there is a pro who posts on this board who goes by the name
" windows on washington"' he is a true craftsman and runs a great company. I am possitive that they wont try and sell anything by MI Windows or Bryn Mawr, they are a quality oriented company and do fantastic work. I would at least contact them first.
Consumer reports is not accurate at all, it only rates windows sold in building supplay houses which tend to be lower end. Far too many contractors focus on price and choose to use Lower End/ cheap products with the hope of coming in cheaper than the other guy. Thats why so many contractors use low end windows like certainteed bryn mawr II.

uncle eddie

#4 Post by uncle eddie »

The MI/Certainteed product is a terrible performer. It is a shame that Certainteed puts their name on such a POS in my opinion. It's is the definition of the word "leaker".