slider tilt and turn windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
mrs. s

slider tilt and turn windows

#1 Post by mrs. s »

I am planning on replacing my windows with easy to clean windows. I have seen two manufacturers that have tilt and turn slider windows versus lift out sliders. I want to know if there are air sealant problems with the tilt and slide windows or any other problems.

The two manufacturers are Joyce Windows in Berea, Ohio and Window World series 4000. Can any one give me advice about the quality of either of these manufacturers?

Mrs. S

Windows on Washington

Re: slider tilt and turn windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Of those two, the Joyce is the superior option.

You are correct to suspect that the swing and clean sliders will be a bit more prone to air leakage so you will need to determine if that ease of cleaning (although regular sliders are easy to clean if you take them up and out) is worth the reduction in air tightness.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I do not suggest tilt n clean sliders to any of my customers.

theWindowNerd...
Last edited by TheWindowNerd on Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

anthony wrote:I do not suggest tilt n clean sliders to any of my customers?

theWindowNerd...
Is that a question? :lol:

... I'd agree with both of my esteemed colleagues above. I stay away from tilt/turn sliders like the plague. I thought they were cool years ago, but to this day I still receive service calls for drafts and hardware failures. Most of the higher end manufacturers don't even offer them anymore for those reasons.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote:
anthony wrote:I do not suggest tilt n clean sliders to any of my customers?

theWindowNerd...
Is that a question? :lol:

mrs. s

new questioin casement versus slider windows in a sunroom

#6 Post by mrs. s »

Thank you for the information about the tilt and slide windows. This was helpful.

New question, I am planning a sunroom and one company has Joyce windows for tilt and slide. The other quote I received is from Vinyl Design windows (Oasis)) with a suggestion to have casement windows instead of sliders. Can anyone help with pros and cons of these windows and companies for a sunroom.

Mrs. S.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Casement Pros: more airtight, nicer look (subjectively) , more airflow theoretically
Slider Pros: more glass area, cheaper (fewer units)... but as the pros have unanimously agreed, it would be better to opt for the lift out version. Sliders will also not protrude to the exterior in the event that this room has a patio or deck around it.