brick veneer with two windows in one opening

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jkiym

brick veneer with two windows in one opening

#1 Post by jkiym »

during a bathroom remodel this is what i found behind the shower. someone installed a new glass block window in front of the orginial window and buried them both behind the shower. now that everything is removed im not sure how to install a replacement window. in the pics you can see the original window frame and the newer glass block sitting on some bucks. someone said i should just install a replacement window directly to the brick. i'm looking for some other opinions. thanks

Windows on Washington

Re: brick veneer with two windows in one opening

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

You will set the window tip to tip in the Rough Opening (RO).

Confirm that the brick is not the limiting measurement and order a full frame window with or without jamb extensions. Normally you would just order with jamb extensions but if you are setting it in the shower, you might want to make your own out of PVC lumber.

jkiym

#3 Post by jkiym »

Windows on Washington wrote:You will set the window tip to tip in the Rough Opening (RO).

Confirm that the brick is not the limiting measurement and order a full frame window with or without jamb extensions. Normally you would just order with jamb extensions but if you are setting it in the shower, you might want to make your own out of PVC lumber.
im tiling the shower so i was thinking about tiling up to the window. it would make a nice shelf for the shower. im not sure what you mean about the "limiting measurement". do you agree with installing the window into the brick? this is my first window. any advice on flashing and such.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Going brick to brick is fine. You might want to seal/insulate the air gap between the sheathing and the brick.
You can tile the shelf or use a solid one piece material like marble or a solid surfacing material. The shelf/sill you will want to put a slight pitch on to drain water.

theWindowNerd...

jkiym

#5 Post by jkiym »

anthony wrote:Going brick to brick is fine. You might want to seal/insulate the air gap between the sheathing and the brick.
You can tile the shelf or use a solid one piece material like marble or a solid surfacing material. The shelf/sill you will want to put a slight pitch on to drain water.

theWindowNerd...
Not sure if i was clear. Im removing the glass block and installing a replacement slider window. Is it still ok to mount directly to the brick or should i use bucks? If I mount directly to the brick, should i put any kind of flashing tape (or anything else) on the brick first? Is it just as easy as applying some caulking and screwing to the brick? Thanks for everyones help.

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

If you already have other replacement windows that feature exterior capping you may want to build a buck and set the new window into that frame so that you can apply exterior brick molding/trim casings so that all of the windows flow together in appearance. One issue is going to be removing all of the caulking that has adhered to your brick. That might be impossible to completely remove to an acceptable look?

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yes, mounting the window directly to the brick without a wood buck is fine. You have a soffit above so water infiltration from above should not be an issue. No flashing tape required.
As mike mentioned covering the paint scar may require some capping.