Milgard Essence vs. Marvin

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Craftsman1908

Milgard Essence vs. Marvin

#1 Post by Craftsman1908 »

I am replacing 17 windows on a craftsman 1908 and want to maintain the same 'look' as the home currently has original windows. Have gotten quotes for Milgard Essence and Marvin double hung windows. it's difficult to get an unbiased comparison as contractors typically work with one of the vendors. Does anyone with experience with both have comparison notes of pro's / con's?

Also considering installing wooden 'storm' windows as an option as current windows all open and close have great hardware and are made from Douglass Fir (and are quite beautiful). Have heard a lot of strong arguments for both options. any advice?

HomeSealed

Re: Milgard Essence vs. Marvin

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Which Marvin line?
On whether to replace or add storms, it depends on what your priorities are. If you value the original charm, appearance, and they are in good condition, some nice storms would be a good bump in energy efficiency. If you are more inclined to desire the types of features associated with newer windows (tilt-in for cleaning, ease of operation, less maintenance, etc) along with peak efficiency, then replacements may be the better choice.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed nailed it.

Gotta know more about the Marvin in question and what the end of the day priorities are.

Sounds to me like you are leaning towards the storms.

You will never find a better wood that what is probably in there right now so keep that in mind.

Craftsman1908

#4 Post by Craftsman1908 »

The Marvin product i'm looking at is: Clad Tilt Packs replacement top and bottom sash with vinyl jamb liners & spring balances.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

I am not a fan of sash packs. They can be tricky to get operating properly (modifications to the frame are sometimes necessary), they generally still cost a pretty penny, and they will be very hard pressed to match the performance of a replacement with a full-frame. I would look at replacement windows or just go with the storms IMO.

Randy

#6 Post by Randy »

HomeSealed wrote:I am not a fan of sash packs. They can be tricky to get operating properly (modifications to the frame are sometimes necessary), they generally still cost a pretty penny, and they will be very hard pressed to match the performance of a replacement with a full-frame. I would look at replacement windows or just go with the storms IMO.
Couldn't agree more.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Me too.
Recently I have had a couple of customers bucking me on it.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#8 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I've had a lot of customers who bought sash kits before they met me, then hired me later on to replace them with new energy efficient and more airtight windows. In other words, I've met a lot of people who bought sash kits and were then disappointed in the results they got.
Do lots of research before making a purchase of sash kits so tat you can get a idea of what they will and will not do for you.