florida windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jonchaley

florida windows

#1 Post by jonchaley »

OK, I've been going nuts trying to figure out which windows to put in my house, and part of the reason is that every time I ask about a specific product, according to many on this web site it's garbage!

I live in Florida. I don't know if it's because we have mild weather, or we do alot of new construction, or people just don't ask for top quality products here, but you just don't SEE many of the products discussed on this board in central Florida.

What I have a chance to get is Pella, Hurd, Silver Line, Simonton, Andersen, and the mass merchandiser/home improvement store products such as Caradco. We also have some companies which are supposed to have local sales presence but which in practice are very hard (if not impossible) to find: Yale Ogron, Savannah Trims, PH tec, PGT, Mr. Window, and European Windows.

I've got a major disconnect because, although I believe there are many knowledgeable people on this site, I don't think any of them have any idea of what windows are best and AVAILABLE in Florida. I've done a search, and when I type in "hurricane" or "Florida windows", I get nothing.

Is there ANYONE out there (either a homeowner or contractor) who has some knowledge about central Florida, or hurricane windows, or the quality of windows that are locally available (preferably laminated/insulated vinyl casement type)? Maybe even a window that is high quality AND meets Dade county hurricane protocols?

Alternatively, I guess I could order windows for delivery to my house and ask someone to install them. That way, I could order whatever I wanted if the company sold directly to homeowners. Would this be a viable approach?

Thanks for any and all help. I DO want a quality product. Help!

windowrep

#2 Post by windowrep »

jon
not sure what part of florida you are in but i know stanek windows has a plant in clearwater if that is close to you. you might want to check them out. good quaility window although they are accordingly priced. alot of the people on this board are from the midwest and we dont like people that live where the low temp is 55 :lol:

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Please don't jump to conclusions about the expert advice available on this site based on your short visit here. Many of us know perfectly well what is available and what should be installed in Florida. For example, I used to winter (and work) in Florida and have a clear understanding of the marketplace. Many of the brands you hear of here such as Simonton Stormbreaker and Schuco are both Dade County approved and either would be an excellent choice. Both are also available with laminated glass.
After the last hurricane season, choosing the right windows is more important than ever. Having laminated windows that can stop a 2x4 traveling at 100 mph is some definite comfort when riding through a hurricane.
I personally wouldn't ever install wood windows in Florida, so my advice will stick with vinyl for now.

jonchaley

#4 Post by jonchaley »

Thanks for both replies.

The one contractor (out of three) who showed up at the appointed time yesterday said he recommended Silver Line but also used Simonton, so I'll look into the latter as a good choice. Thanks, Window4u.

Windowrep, I've never heard of Stanek, but I can research and appreciate the thought starter.

I hope I didn't whine too much but it just sounded like from many of the posts that all of you people live in "the Great White North" or California. It may not get real cold here (though we did dip into the 30's this winter), but I just went through three hurricanes in a two month period, so window quality IS extremely important here.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Bill

#5 Post by Bill »

I was just in West Palm and I took a look at some new construction and I was shocked at the poor quality single hung, single pane thin framed aluminum windows that were not hurricane rated being used. The builder was meeting the hurricane code by installing screw holes around the frames and supplying metal storm panels to cover the windows.

One thing I do especially like about the Simonton Storm Breaker product and this may also be the case with Shuco’s hurricane rated is that the laminate glass is on the inside panel with the exterior panel that is exposed to the storm being double strength tempered. So if the window is struck with flying debris it has a good chance of not breaking without any damage. The glass on the laminate panel will break more easily but the laminate will hold up and stay intact, but you will still have an expensive glass to replace.

Bill
Uneeda Window of N.J.

Oberon

hurricane windows

#6 Post by Oberon »

Hi Jon,

I have some knowledge of hurricane products and have responded to folks here many times concerning those products.

In your other post you asked about sound-proofing and impact...do you have more specific questions concerning impact products or laminated glass?

I have mentioned before that I avoid commenting on specific window brands and companies, but I am more than willing to share generic information about specific requirements....just ask.

Oberon