Vytex vs. HiMark

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Paradoxex

Vytex vs. HiMark

#1 Post by Paradoxex »

Hey all. I respect the advice I have seen on this board, so I figured I would seek advice too.

My wife and I are seeking to have 11 original windows replaced in our early 1970s house (9 DH, 2 picture). We have talked to several window vendors, and we've narrowed it down to two. My wife wants to keep the look of the wood windows as much as possible, so SDLs are mandatory.

We have a quote from a Vytex vendor for Fortis/Prodigy windows with SDLs at $7,150, and a quote from a HiMark dealer for Okna 800 windows with SDLs at $8750.

Both windows seem amazing, and the stats on the Okna are very marginally better... but $1600 better? We are very comfortable with both installers. I would appreciate second opinions here because comparing windows is incredibly difficult, and not something you have the luxury to do more than once in a blue moon. I appreciate your help in advance.

Windows on Washington

Re: Vytex vs. HiMark

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Both are very good units indeed. The SDL is a new option for the Fortis.

The more apt comparison between those brands would be the Vytex Fortis and the HiMark/Okna Insul-Tec (500). The 500 still gets the performance nod on that account but unfortunately does not have the SDL option. You have to go to the EnviroStar (800) in the Okna/HiMark for that one.

The Okna/HiMark does have the better Design Pressure and air infiltration number in this comparison.

The one real visual difference between the two is the metal hardware. Do you like the look of the applied handle on the 800? I am guessing that if you are going with SDLs, the handle on the 800 might also be playing into the more "wood like" look.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I am not familiar with the Vytex.

But I do a fair amount of the 800DX with SDL, they look great.
Did 17 today for a repeat customer who is very fussy.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree with WoW's assessment above. The 500 series will be a better comparison, still a better performer, and narrow that price gap. Technically SDL's are not available in the 500, but you can ask your dealer if they can make a custom exception for your order. I have been able to do this in the past, I believe that they just needed to make sure that the grids lineup without interfering with the locks or something along those lines.
Alternatively, if the rich appearance of wood is paramount for you, I'd agree to the 800 with the metal handles is a knockout and the clear winner in appearance.