south central zone window replacement suggestions?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
wanttoseeclearly

south central zone window replacement suggestions?

#1 Post by wanttoseeclearly »

I'm in the south central zone (Sacramento) and currently have drafty aluminum frame windows/stucco exterior. I need a replacement window that has at least a U rating of ≤0.31 and an SHGC≤0.25. Preferably would like an insert so I don't have to rip out window to studs and save on installation. Also want something with a good warranty and good value. Probably vinyl but still considering others. Don't want to have to deal with any warping issues. We do have 26 windows some of them odd shaped. Anything fit the bill? Only starting my search. Was introduced to Amerimax but not married to the brand. Also if anyone has recommendations on reputable installers in the area that would be helpful too. We are more interested in comfort and efficiency than aesthetics. Thanks

Windows on Washington

Re: south central zone window replacement suggestions?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The West coast offerings are fairly specific because you can cross the Rockies with a sealed IGU (insulated glass unit).

Amerimax is a well regarded window if memory serves me correctly as are Anlin, Milgard, and Simonton for West Coast players.

Your energy criteria should be easy to hit although I would expand the details and criteria to include air infiltration as well.

You have 3 options for install:
- Insert with a old frame removal
- Cut back stucco and put in new nailing flange equip window
- Frame jump with stucco flange equip

Simonton tends to have a bulky frame and a higher than average leakage number so be sure to incorporate those couple of evaluation criteria into how you vet the windows you are looking at.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

I dont like how amerimax doesnt have a welded sloped sill, that can be problematic. Also the single wall glazing leaves alot to be desired. I will visit the Anlin website and take a look for you.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

masterext wrote:I dont like how amerimax doesnt have a welded sloped sill, that can be problematic. Also the single wall glazing leaves alot to be desired. I will visit the Anlin website and take a look for you.
\

Quoting for future reference. Thanks for the info MasterExt!!!

I didn't know that about that window and that is not a great lack of feature in my opinion.

wanttoseeclearly

#5 Post by wanttoseeclearly »

Thank you Windows on Washington and Masterext for your feedback. Talked to a Brothers rep today and Anlin makes their window line. He said similar to Calatalina E. A little concerned about the single weephole and outside air getting into house whereas Amerimaxx has a two covered weepholes. On the weepholes on my current alum frames I can see daylight and feel drafts coming through so I am a little concerned I will feel a draft with the Anlin but will see if Anlin customers have experienced that. I like how the glass separation is not aluminum. Overall seems like a favorable window. Any other windows I should consider on the west coast?

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Maybe look at a Milgard option as well.