Is the EnergyOne "marketing house" deal a deal?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
ConcernedHomeOwner

Is the EnergyOne "marketing house" deal a deal?

#1 Post by ConcernedHomeOwner »

I am looking for some advice on replacing windows and I will confess I am very ignorant in this area.

Our house is from 1969 and still has all the original aluminum single pane windows. Four of these windows collect so much condensation during winter months, pools of water form on the sills. They are ugly and feel drafty. We have talked about replacing them several times but didn't want the hassle and expense of it.

We had a salesman from EnergyOne drop by today to offer us a "marketing house" deal. It doesn't seem like much of a deal though and thus I wonder and ask for advice. We have 19 windows but he's claiming that three of those can be replaced with side sliding windows which would bring the number down to 16 in the form of:
9 windows of 48x57,
2 of 96x57,
one of 70x70,
3 of 16x28,
and one big bay window which he wants to convert into a picture window of 110x74.
Plus our now french patio door converted into sliding doors.

Triple pane, argon, lowE. I am not sold on the "energy savings" and I do not expect the cost of the windows to be paid off by this. However, the current windows are old and ugly and new ones would be nice, I expect to replace them at some point. We expect to stay in our house for at least 5 more years, probably longer. We do not want to DIY.

How much would be reasonable to pay for this? It seems like I need to make a decision very soon in order to get this "deal" and would like some idea just to know if I'm being taken for a ride or if I should be jumping on the opportunity.

Thank you all for any and all advice.

Windows on Washington

Re: Is the EnergyOne "marketing house" deal a deal?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

While I am all for some bit of a spiff pricing to help motivate consumers, the "marketing house" is the oldest and cheesiest deal in the book.

Without knowing more about the window, the application, and performance, I would say that you should holster your pen before inking a deal.

Their approach is cheesy and I would be willing to be my pinky there are much better windows out there are similar prices.

Your concerns and frustrations with the windows are noted and probably do make for great candidates for replacement but get the best window that you can. There are some great options out there.

HiMark, HomeGuard, Okna, Polaris, and Sunrise are some of the best.

Randy

#3 Post by Randy »

I agree with WoW. 99% of the time, it's a scam. There are legitimate companies who work around a job in a neighborhood with a real discount to the first homeowner. But it's extremely rare. The best way to find out whether this offer is legitimate or not is get additional quotes to determine what a discounted price would look like.

The main thing is to not allow yourself to be pressured into signing a contract before doing enough research to make you comfortable with your buying decision.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

Their " Venetian Series" seems to look pretty solid. Not o big fan of the intercept spacer though.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I too would suggest not dealing with a company that markets that way.
Another concern seems to be some of the changes being made. Most are being made to control cost and profit. Are you sure you want to give up the bay window?
What of the change from a French door to a sliding door?
theWindowNerd...

ConcernedHomeOwner

#6 Post by ConcernedHomeOwner »

Thank you all. We've decided to do a lot more research before doing anything else. I hope we'll find that passing up the "marketing house" deal wasn't a bad idea but right now we just don't feel comfortable. Thanks!

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

ConcernedHomeOwner wrote:Thank you all. We've decided to do a lot more research before doing anything else. I hope we'll find that passing up the "marketing house" deal wasn't a bad idea but right now we just don't feel comfortable. Thanks!
It was not a bad idea, I promise. You are making a wise choice by doing some additional research. Perhaps you will find that this company actually was the best fit for you, but I'm sure that you will be able to strike an equal or better deal if that is the case, and you will have the peace of mind of having gathered all of the info necessary.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote:
ConcernedHomeOwner wrote:Thank you all. We've decided to do a lot more research before doing anything else. I hope we'll find that passing up the "marketing house" deal wasn't a bad idea but right now we just don't feel comfortable. Thanks!
It was not a bad idea, I promise. You are making a wise choice by doing some additional research. Perhaps you will find that this company actually was the best fit for you, but I'm sure that you will be able to strike an equal or better deal if that is the case, and you will have the peace of mind of having gathered all of the info necessary.

+1

Even if you decide to go back to that company and it is the best window out there, I would be willing to bet something akin to that deal will still be out there.