Air Infiltration in Pella Replacements

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
john jorgensen

Air Infiltration in Pella Replacements

#1 Post by john jorgensen »

Has anyone found a solution to air infiltration between the sash side and frame with Pella Renovation Precision Aluminum Clad Wood replacement windows? After a few initial problems which Pella and my contractor fixed, now, 4 1/2 years later, with the extended cold NE weather, I am noticing drafts around many of the windows and in a few cases I can nudge the lower sash to one side and see light along the opposite side. Pella refuses to accept any warranty responsibility for the problem which appears to be wood shrinkage that the design will not accommodate. Needless to say I am very disappointed and would not recommend Pella windows. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a fix short of replacing or re-shimming all 20 of my windows?

Windows on Washington

Re: Air Infiltration in Pella Replacements

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I am sorry to hear of this.

Re-shimming the windows will not work in this case either and I am sorry to have to tell you that. If you can slide the window from side to side (some of this is normal to accommodate movement) on the base where it meets the sill...there is nothing that you can do to change that.

Can you post up a picture?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

Pella do not make an air tight window, you will need to invest in high end vinyl to reach that goal. That said, in my experience pella windows leak alot of air.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I too am sorry to hear about your experience.
I general: you can replace the weather stripping with something a tiny bit bigger if something a little bigger exist. I have seen it done twice by two different vinyl mfg.
Yesterday I was speaking with a Mfg who is changing the weather stripping on their patio doors so that they glide more easily, operation force will be reduced by 30% will maintaining test results for AI. So in this case they are putting in a "smaller" wool pile.
OK, back to your Pella windows. They tilt in from the top of the sash, yes? I think the weather stripping is in the frame and is a coated foam or some such. You can ask Pella who they get it from, then contact a supplier to see if the make it in an other sizes.

theWindowNerd...

Pella Community Team

#5 Post by Pella Community Team »

We have received your review and have forwarded it along to our Corporate Customer Service department. If you have further questions, please call, 866-884-0729.

Thank you for your feedback.

Best Regards,

Wendy, Pella Community Team

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Wendy,
Did it used to be that every wood window that was produced had to be .10 or less AI to pass your internal testing?
Is That still done? For what product lines?

theWindowNerd...

Pella Community Team

#7 Post by Pella Community Team »

Hi there,

To have your question answered, please contact our Corporate Customer Service department at 866-884-0729.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Best Regards,

Wendy, Pella Community Team

Win-admin
Board Administrator

#8 Post by Win-admin »

Wendy,

Your "Team" is welcome on the board, in fact we think that would be a good addition to the community. However, your participation would need to be more than providing a "Public Relations" service for Pella in the form of responding to a real question with a canned response to call a toll free number. Thats really not what we would expect from a company as large as Pella.

Perhaps there is someone that is actually from Pella that could participate in a more meaningful manner?

Thanks

Ed's

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#9 Post by masterext »

Agree 100%. Anyone who works at Pella would easily have access to air leakage numbers on all the windows, particularly the double hungs; and i dont mean pass or fail, but an actual number.
To skate around that question and ask someone to call a phone number comes across as being very evasive.

Guy

#10 Post by Guy »

Pella has been battling that forever. The largest leakage spot is at each fastner location. In most cases there should be four on each side. Just tilt the sash in and look up each channel. You should see the mounting holes very easily. After each fastener is tightened the installer is suppose to install a foam plug. If you don't see plugs in these holes call that service department above. They will know what I'm talking about. The other adjustment you can try is adjusting the Jamb Jacks (if present). They will be in the same area as the fasteners. You'll see a screw post with a slot in it. Just use a small regular screwdriver and turn it clockwise. If there's any room left you'll see the jamb move. Always turn it a bit and check the sashes. It won't take much to move them. Be very careful when doing this. These holes should also get a foam plug when finished. Good luck!!!