Vinyl Replacement in condo's due to a fire..help!

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
AnnsKlan

Vinyl Replacement in condo's due to a fire..help!

#1 Post by AnnsKlan »

Dayton Condo fire...checking on fair cost! I'll give you the quote that shows window sizes..this Quote is for Polaris UltraWeld I think...although he doesn't name them. A local reseller...I would think at these prices installation included!

All units to have fusion welded frames and sashes
Double pane glass upgraded with Low-E stacked and argon
Stainless steel spacer with thermal break
Extruded dark brown vinyl
Fiberglass mesh screens
Dual Cam locks
Polyfoam wraps

6 operating casements 35x58 $697.50 each

6 end vent sliders ¼ ½ ¼ 94x58 $942.00 each
6 two section sliders 69x58 $707.00 each

6 6.0x6.8 sliding patio doors $1,620.00 each
6 8.0x6.8 sliding patio doors $1,865.00 each

Total Cost $34,989.00

Please allow 2 weeks for manufacturing and delivery
Each condo will take 1 day for installation (6 days total)

We had an earlier quote for a premium VinylMax window at $23,000...just windows & were shocked at that!. Our contractor had suggested this company & then contractor would install for $3800. They could also quote Simonton but at that time we were looking at dark gray color & Simonton did not have & would not make exception. We have changed now to a brown realizing gray is to difficult (although VinylMax will make an exception).
The next day a board member had a direct factory quote from Polaris in brown (I think) around $12-13,000. We did not realize we would have shipping on top of that...and were thrilled with price! Can you give me a guess on shipping? Now in shock again w/above quote.
Have a quote coming from All Seal on Sunshine Restoration and Softlite, brown outside/white inside...not sure of name. If price is factor said he could quote a lesser Softlite but would be brown in & out. And said he can get Vanguard if we want a quote...gather he doesn't carry in stock.
Also at the time Sibco quoted VinylMax found out from contractor that estimated cost allowed by insurance is around $12,000 on windows only...not sure what they are allowing for install yet. Our foreman said that $12,000 est from insurance is possibly not etched in stone...hopefully he's correct but would they jump to $27,000-35,000?

Hopefully someone here can give thoughts on our prices. Can you also give us an average cost for install? And any advice with our insurance constraints? We have tried to stay with windows that have good reviews from window forums.

On top of all this we also must change window design from 3 lite to 2 lite and smaller window in front has to now be a casement because of county code. This is a 12 condo two story bldg...at this time insurance does not want to pay for the two window design change in the 6 units not required by county to change! The architectural conformity for the 52 unit complex will now be a hodge podge...have always required design the same as owners have installed new windows.

Appreciate any suggestions...we are located in Dayton, OH suburb.

HomeSealed

Re: Vinyl Replacement in condo's due to a fire..help!

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

He says that each condo will take one day for installation, are you sure that is not an "installed" price?

AnnsKlan

#3 Post by AnnsKlan »

Understand what you are saying...I think you are correct the way it reads. Your thoughts? Am thinking after reading even more today that maybe it is a fair price. We have been looking for a couple weeks but just receiving quotes...a little shocking to the un-informed!

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

AnnsKlan wrote:Understand what you are saying...I think you are correct the way it reads. Your thoughts? Am thinking after reading even more today that maybe it is a fair price. We have been looking for a couple weeks but just receiving quotes...a little shocking to the un-informed!
If it is installed, that pricing is very competitive for that product. I'd even venture to say that you are getting a significant discount for the volume. The patio doors alone should be $2k+, higher for the custom sizes, and 3 panel sliders are often double that amount. You mention the brown exteriors, is that brown interior as well or two-tone? If two-toned color, that drives the price up a bit more as well.... My opinion: probably on the high side for product only ( although not outrageous), but very good pricing, possibly even very cheap if it is installed and depending on specific options and installation circumstances.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Product is definitely solid and if the install is equally professional, that is a very good price.