Recommendations for Replacement Windows So. VA. Coastal

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
explorerVA1

Recommendations for Replacement Windows So. VA. Coastal

#1 Post by explorerVA1 »

1.) My multi-story condo faces directly onto Chesapeake Bay in southeastern Virginia. The 14 year old vinyl casement windows have required frequent replacement of hardware due to corrosion. The service tech told me that the screws no longer bite securely into the vinyl and that new sashes should be purchased (at my cost) for some windows. My understanding is that the manufacturer no longer services SE Virginia (has consolidated under new owners) and so I am trying to find someone to honestly evaluate the windows, determine which need new sashes and which can just be repaired, do the repairs and install the new sashes and hardware.

A.) does anyone have any recommendations for the Hampton Roads area?

B.) While replacing individual sashes and hardware sounds a lot cheaper than putting in entirely new replacement windows, is this shortsighted? Should I just bite the bullet and put in new ones? I'm not having other problems with the windows.

C.) If I end up having to buy new replacement windows what would the recommendation be? I need something that can hold up against water intrusion from driving rains, corrosion due to water and salt and sun, strong winds on infrequent occasions (we're in the 120mph max zone). Casements have been great except for corrosion on moving parts - what about double hung instead - how do they compare in strength and water intrusion? Vinyl has been great except for this failure for the screws to be able to bite into it and hold after several screw replacements.

D.) any recommendations for installers of these brands that cover southeastern Virginia?

Thank you.

Windows on Washington

Re: Recommendations for Replacement Windows So. VA. Coastal

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Can you post up a picture of some of the failures?

Sounds like if you are decently handy and the nature of the failure is serviceable, the larger components of the window are still intact.

Casements are great because they seal so tightly and as long as double strength glass was used you should be just fine at that wind level.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you can get the hardware that would be the best way to go. If they have a sea coast/ stainless steel hardware that would be better.
I do not know of any but you need a sleeve or coil to go into the existing screw holes so the screws will bite, or drill neww holes through the hardware to attach in different holes, caulk the old holes.
I hhope DE Mike sees this and will add his comments.

theWindowNerd...

explorerVA1

#4 Post by explorerVA1 »

Thanks for the advice.

WOW - What happens is the screws don't get a solid purchase in the bottom of the sash where the operator arm attaches and so the sash will actually start hanging off the track if the problem is severe or you can feel that it's not attached solidly when you crank it out.

I really like Anthony's idea about some sort of metal sleeve inserted into the vinyl for the screw to bite - any thoughts?

Anthony -great idea about the sleeve inserts - does anyone have any idea if these exist and what they would be called?

As to drilling new holes - it's a great idea and that was done on one of the sashes. It does make the window serviceable but unfortunately moving the holes even slightly caused the window to be misaligned when trying to close it. It can be closed but it's a temporary fix as it puts a lot of strain on the window.

WOW and Anthony,

Unfortunately, a coastal hardware package is not an option. In fact, I'm still working on convincing the manufacturer to let me buy replacement sashes.

Assuming the worst, that I can't get replacement sashes and can't get any kind of "sleeve" to screw into for the vinyl sashes, can you all recommend a replacement window and/ or installer? I've hear good things on this board about Simmonton, Oknay, Softlite but I've also heard negative things. A lot seems to be dependent on the model so I'd appreciate hearing specific brands and models - and do I really stick with casement even with all the corrosion issues because of the harsh weather exposure being directly on the bay?

Thanks again for your expertise.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You could try an aluminum pop rivet in the hole then drill out the center of it with a smaller diameter bit, but the screw in the hole. You can see if the next larger diameter screw can fit in the hardware and still have the clearance for operation.
As far as drilling new holes... I was not suggesting moving the hardware as that will change the sash alignment. I was suggesting drilling new holes in the hardware so that the screws could get a bite in new vinyl.

The Okna/HiMark 700DX would be my first choice for a casement window. You can have similar salt issues with DH, screws and tilt bars that corrode.

theWindowNerd...

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Rivet the hardware as anthony mentioned or install rivet nut.

explorerVA1

#7 Post by explorerVA1 »

These suggestions sound like workable solutions - I'm not handy enough to attempt this myself - my next challenge will be to find someone who is. But, at least I have some solutions I can try. And thanks Anthony, your suggestion makes sense about drilling new holes in the hardware.

WOW - any suggestions on new replacement windows brands/ models so I can start researching everyone's suggestions in case I end up needing to go that route? Any possibility you'll ever expand down this far to cover SE VA for new replacement installs? No one seems to have any recommendations for this area.

Thanks.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

We will be in SE VA in the next year (hopefully opening in 2015).

I can't think of anyone off the top of my head but the Okna casement is one of the best along side the Sunrise window.

explorerVA1

#9 Post by explorerVA1 »

1. it was mentioned that double hung windows also have problems with corrosion in coastal environments. But at least they don't hang precariously off their hinges if screws rust. Are they a better alternative to casements in coastal environments or are there issues that make them worse - like more water intrusion? Please explain.

2. Okna and Sunrise casements have been suggested. Is there a mid-grade or higher end Simonton casement that you might recommend? If not, what are the issues?

Thanks to everyone.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

Double hungs will have far less metal hardware so that will minimize the corrosion issue.
I don't personally put Simonton on my list of recommended windows in your region, but their casement would seal better than their double hung.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#11 Post by masterext »

Some companies offer coastal ( stainless steel ) hardware.