Simonton 5500 vs. Pella Encompass vs. Alside Ultramaxx

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
LHM2412

Simonton 5500 vs. Pella Encompass vs. Alside Ultramaxx

#1 Post by LHM2412 »

I'm looking to replace 12 windows in my home in the Southeast and have estimates for these 3 products. Windows will be horizontal slides. I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on any or all of the products or recommendation. I find it so difficult to compare apples to apples since no 2 are alike and I can't really find a place to do side by side comparisons. Looking for some help.
Thanks so much!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Simonton 5500 vs. Pella Encompass vs. Alside Ultramaxx

#2 Post by masterext »

The simonton 5500 is ok i guess. The pella encompass is garbage and the alside is not far behind the pella in my opinion.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

That is like comparing the acceleration of 2 minivans to a 4 door sedan (Simonton). While the 4 door sedan is quicker, none of them are sports cars in terms of performance.

Can you expand the search a bit?

Certainly the Simonton is the best of that bunch.

LHM2412

#4 Post by LHM2412 »

I like the acceleration analogy! What additional brands / series would you suggest? And what is the criteria you're using to compare? What factors do you consider please? Looking for as much information as I can get. Thanks!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

The brands most pro's seem to consistently recommend are the following:
Sunrise Restorations, Okna / Himark, Quantum 2 , Innovations and a few others depending on your locations.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree with what has beem said. You would be OK with the Simonton.
Besides price, compare the test results for air infiltration(AI), it is the measure of how breezy the window will be. Yes there are major differences in this between products.

theWindowNerd.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 to masterext's list.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

There are mini-vans running 0-60 times at 6.2 seconds, so watch out who your drag racing. Most sliders have higher air numbers which would help out Simonton in this case. I may be in the minority but I think the Simoton 5500 is one of the nicer looking vinyl's on the market. Gerkin has one of the lower air numbers on sliders at 0.04.
Keep in mind air numbers are done in a laboratory setting with a similated wind speed of 25 mph.

Randy

#9 Post by Randy »

While I don't agree with Todd on the Simonton 5500 being one of the nicest looking windows, however, I do think it is a good solid choice for homeowners who live in areas of the country where the premium manufacturers are either unavailable or unaffordable. For homeowners in the south, just make sure you get it upgraded with the optional sash reinforcement.

masterext

#10 Post by masterext »

I am not a fan of simonton either but Randy does make a great point.