Replacement vinyl windows quote advice.

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
devman

Replacement vinyl windows quote advice.

#1 Post by devman »

I'd like some advice on selecting a quote among 2 I was given. I've been lurking around message boards like this one trying to do my homework on what makes a good quality window. If I'm wrong in any of my assumptions please feel free to correct me.

The project in question is replacing 6 windows on my townhouse, the replacements windows will be double hung with colonial grids. My budget for this project is about $3k total.

Contractor A showed me a Simonton Reflections 5500, and gave me a quote averaging ~$450/window. The price was right, I didn't really like the product, the brochures did not mention any performance details about the window, and when I went to Simonton's website I was met with a large number of configurations to wade though.

Contractor B showed me two products straddling my target of ~$500/window. First was a Soft-Lite Barrington installed for ~$420/ Window, second was a Soft-Lite Pro installed for ~$550/window.

Contractor C showed me an Okna 400 (w/ DX package) installed for ~$570 / window.

All three are well reviewed local contractors. I'm absolutely not against paying for a good quality product (and install), and honestly right now I'm favoring the Okna 400 based on what I've been reading. I'm just wondering if it worth a 35% premium over the Soft-Lite Barrington windows.

Opinions appreciated. Thanks for your time.

HomeSealed

Re: Replacement vinyl windows quote advice.

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Have you seen the 500 series Okna? I prefer it a bit better than the 400. That said, I'd say that you are on track in your assessment so far.

uncle eddie

#3 Post by uncle eddie »

Softlote pro or Okna 400. I agree with the other comment though, that the 500 or 800 from okna would be a big step up, as would the Elements with Softlite.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

Agree, i prefer the okna 500 deluxe over the 400.

devman

#5 Post by devman »

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I did look at the Okna 500, but as the 400s were already above my budget I did not get a quote for them. I'm probably gonna go with the Okna 400s. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't getting a bad value over the Soft-Lite Barringtons, but it seems like the Okna 400 are a superior product.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd get a price on the 500's just for the heck of it. The difference in dealer cost is actually pretty minimal.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

some dealers do not have access to the 500.