replacing large windows, please help

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
riverlee

replacing large windows, please help

#1 Post by riverlee »

Hello, I would appreciate some advice please. I live near Erie PA. I have Marvin Integrity windows in part of my house that I am replacing and I am going crazy trying to figure out what to get. I would like to not spend more money than necessary to get a good window and I do not want wood interiors. i am very concerned however that vinyl windows are not strong enough and will not hold their shape in the heat at these sizes. I have 3 relatively large units. the largest is 10 ft wide by 6.5 ft tall. currently there is a mulled unit consisting of a 6' wide picture in center, casement on either side and awnings down below. I'd like to keep a 6' picture and was hoping to get sliders on the side but likely is not possible. I do not want operating units on the bottom, just pictures. then I have two other units that are only 7 ft wide but otherwise the same config, center picture is only 3.5 ft wide though.

we have no Okna, Sunrise or Softlite dealers here so I'm assuming I can't get those. I can get Polaris ultrawelds or Simontons (yet to be determined which the best option would be for those) and we have all the other common major brands but it doesn't seem like those are much good. I considered Pella fiberglass, but no one online seems to think Pellas are very good.
the MBS sales guy for the Polaris said I could get a center picture window, full height (6.5ft) by 6ft wide (3.5ft for smaller units) with two full height casements on either side. the thought of a 6.5ft high casement is a little scary, but I like that arrangement just fine- the less mulled areas the better in my mind.

should I just go with ultrawelds? and if I get those should I definitely get the stainless spacer and foam fill because of the span of my windows? the sales guy didn't seem to push that- actually I had to go back and ask him about those things. he still seemed to not think it was necessary.

any thoughts are appreciated. thank you, Lee

Windows on Washington

Re: replacing large windows, please help

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

UltraWelds are certainly strong and will serve you well there.

You should have Okna nearby as they are all through Erie.

I would sacrifice a bit of viewable glass for a reinforced opening in these larger applications.

riverlee

#3 Post by riverlee »

Thank you for the response.
when I called Okna they said they have no dealers in this area. I asked where the nearest is and she said Warren Oh. I just assumed that meant they wouldn't travel this far since she wasn't giving me their info. Maybe I should call again.

would you mind telling me how I get a reinforced opening? Do I just have to ask the different companies if the windows have that option? thank you

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

I take that back. They are probably right. Erie is way up there.

In terms of reinforcement, I was just referring to the strength of the frame either via the mil thickness or the reinforcement if so equip.

riverlee

#5 Post by riverlee »

ok thanks. i'll just make sure I ask him again if there is anything more I can add to reinforce them.
I appreciate the help.