Help on selection in Los Angeles

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
kwgriffi

Help on selection in Los Angeles

#1 Post by kwgriffi »

I live in LA, and purchased my home a few years ago. I am looking to increase the property value as the current windows are still the original metal frame windows from 1978. I'd describe my house as a starter home, 3 bedrooms, 1200 sq/ft so I am not looking for top of the line products, but looking to not deter people and (as mentioned) add value.

I have received four quotes to replace 9 windows and 1 sliding door, I'm looking for some assistance in helping me select the right choice.

Home Depot: 6200 VantagePointe series $9,531.43
Home Depot: CV500's $8,909.70
Lowes: MI (Better Bilt) series $5,310 (I'd be responsible for pulling permits but basically was told I just had to "say" I did)
Angie's List 4 star rated contractor with over 200 reviews: Anlin Monte Verde series $5,633
General Contractor referred by a friend: he doesn't specify a brand (I have asked for this) but says it will be "Vinyl, dual glaze
Low e glass, retrofit system" $6,600

Obviously I am inclined to go with Lowes as the cheap option, but perhaps that isn't the right decision. Any assistance in helping me choose would be much appreciated.

HomeSealed

Re: Help on selection in Los Angeles

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

A few observations:

-Generally speaking, big box stores have a revolving door of subcontractors due to the fact that they pay less than the "going rate". Draw your own conclusion as to how that affects the potential quality of the individual that will be working in your home as well as the finished product.
-The potential for "saying that I did" regarding the permit is very off-putting. If someone suggests cutting corners or doing anything not on the "up and up" in one area, it is likely to be done in others as well.
-The product at big blue is the cheapest of all of your choices and I'd say that it could be accurately characterized as "get what you pay for"
-I have not personally used Anlin, however I have heard positive things from contractors out West. Combined with the good ratings, this option looks to me to be the most promising of your choices.
-The "GC" who would not specify brand can be disqualified IMO.

Lastly, I understand that you have a budget that you are working within and that you also want to choose a product that is appropriate for a starter home, but keep in mind that you do want this improvement to add value, not detract from it. Any of the choices will add value on day one, but there will be a big difference 5-10 years out based upon quality-- to the point that you may have been better off leaving the originals. I'd forget the box stores and the other goofball GC, and get another quote or two from reputable local exterior contractors/ window dealers. Simonton, Milgard, and Amerimax are a few others that are well regarded in your neck of the woods.

jeff1995

#3 Post by jeff1995 »

Mid range products Milgard, Simonton, Superior. ALL better than what you have listed IMO. Do not know much about Anlin but understand that they are in that same ball park that I have listed. Good Luck in your project.

bgbrock

#4 Post by bgbrock »

+1 to HomeSealed regarding the big box stores.

Nice that you want to "increase your home value", but the concerning part is you want to do it cheaply. You are absolutely correct - it is not the right decision. You have to think about resale.

From my quick search it appears that the Monte Verde is Anlin's lowest line?? I would check into their mid grade window - sometimes the cost difference is not that much.

Good luck!

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

jeff1995 wrote:Mid range products Milgard, Simonton, Superior. ALL better than what you have listed IMO. Do not know much about Anlin but understand that they are in that same ball park that I have listed. Good Luck in your project.
Jeff, I know that you are located out there, what products would you recommend as top performers? All of the "usual suspects" from here in the MW and east do not distribute to your neck of the woods. From what I've gathered over the years, our "mid grade" products like Simonton and Milgard are about as good as it gets out there?

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

The offerings are not quite as good out on the West Coast for some reason.

Anlin has been mentioned before in a positive light and Simonton is always a decent option although dated.

kwgriffi

#7 Post by kwgriffi »

I appreciate the comments! Would love to hear back from Jeff as he is local. I have another contractor coming out tonight to provide a quote.

And the contractor that was referred to me did get back that he was quoting using Green Coast Windows.

I AM looking to add value, and if that costs x, I am willing to pay x, when I say I want to do it cheaply, I guess what I mean is I want to understand what market pricing is so I can make an informed decision (as I do not want to overpay, or put is something that is not up to snuff).

I plan to go back to the person I found on angies list to see the cost differential between monte verde, and the next line up offered from anlin. And I also can go back to the contract who has proposed green coast and ask for Simonton or milgard.

any other advice, happy to have it!