patio door replacement

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
vbhomeowner

patio door replacement

#1 Post by vbhomeowner »

Have leaking French doors. Need to replace, prefer sliders and prefer vinyl as first choice or fiberglass as second. Dimensions 66wx72H. What are my options for a reasonable price for replacement? Is this a custom width and if so what is the up-charge?

Note: have Sunrise Windows in front of house (and soon in rear of house) and really really like them. We now have Okna dealer in area, did not 2 years ago when installing Windows in front of house so IMO Sunrise was clear choice over other makes, so now that Okna is available I am willing to consider their sliding doors as well -- even though staying with Sunrise for new Window install to keep all Windows same look with same glass package

Many Thanks.

bgbrock

Re: patio door replacement

#2 Post by bgbrock »

I have the Sunrise patio door (slider), and had it installed a year ago. I chose the Sunrise over the OKNA ONLY for the aesthetic attribute. Not that OKNA is not a fine door in terms of looks, but it was what we liked. In terms of thermal performance OKNA has the edge.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Can't go wrong with either option.

If you have a good relationship with the Sunrise dealer, historically you would go back to that person if you were happy with the install and product performance.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Windows on Washington wrote:Can't go wrong with either option.

If you have a good relationship with the Sunrise dealer, historically you would go back to that person if you were happy with the install and product performance.
Exactly.
The Okna has a very slight edge thermally and structurally (AI, DP) and I prefer a welded frame, however the Sunrise is very good. The thing that makes this an easy choice in my book is the fact that you have the opportunity to go back to a dealer/installer that you have already used and trust. Assuming that you were pleased with the services, I'd go back to them again.

vbhomeowner

#5 Post by vbhomeowner »

Any idea on which is better route both economically and otherwise to order custom or to reframe - with trim work required on inside and the painting of new trim.

Trying to determine whether just to pay up front for a custom width door for the 64 inches (correction from before think each door is 32 inches - or 2' 8") not sure what up-charge is for custom or is it most cost effective to reframe.

Both the Sunrise Dealer who I have used, and the Okna Dealer who my friend has used recently when they came into area after I installed my Sunrise Window, are great on Window installs. Seen the work of both companies - both impeccable.

But unlike the window install, which does not impact interior trim - whoever if chosen will have to remove interior trim, re-frame, and re-trim for the 2-3 inches on each side. Then I will probably have to hire a painter. Sound like a lot to me, but who knows.

So it is STD with re-framing and interior trim work, the outside will look fine with wrap or Custom with far less interior work.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

my preference is to order the exact, custom size. Dollar-wise it should be pretty close when considering the extra work necessary with a standard size and related carpentry.

vbhomeowner

#7 Post by vbhomeowner »

Many Thanks.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Do you currently have hinged doors? What is the configuration? French , center hinged or end hinged?
Your clear opening will be noticeably less. I would ask for a clear opening dimension to make sure you are ok with the final result.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#9 Post by Window4U (IL) »

You can order custom size doors from both Sunrise and Okna. You will find that Okna has a lower charge for the custom size upgrade.

whizzer13

#10 Post by whizzer13 »

We had a Okna patio door installed recently with grids and my wife and I are very happy with the purchase. As noted it is very good with AI. Much better than our old french doors. One note is it is a very heavy door and takes a little umpha to open it and close it.

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

whizzer is it a 6' or 8' door?
It will wear in and become easier to slide.

whizzer13

#12 Post by whizzer13 »

6' door. I also realize it will get easier. It's not a problem for my wife or I but it just shows why the AI and DP are as well as they are.

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

whizzer13 wrote:...it just shows why the AI and DP are as well as they are.
Exactly. :D