Soft-Lite Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
karenbartone

Soft-Lite Windows

#1 Post by karenbartone »

I am looking for vinyl replacement windows and considering Soft-Lite Windows.

I am looking at three levels Imperial Pro, Imperial SL, and Elements. Could someone tell me if these are good windows, I have read variable reviews?

Also, I am a bit concerned about their Life Time Limited Warranty as you need to go through the dealer and they only replace the glass, not the sash, leaving you to pay for the glass to be inserted into the sash.

Windows on Washington

Re: Soft-Lite Windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Very well constructed window and even more so when you talk about the Elements variant.

The Elements is their flagship window and is a real performer.

I was unaware of that warranty language. Where did you find that and can you send me the link.

karenbartone

#3 Post by karenbartone »

I was given the Soft-Lite Warranty information by the dealer I am working with.

Can I up load a scan of this warranty for you, does this site have that ability?

The Soft-lite warranty states on the back to contact the dealer from whom you purchased the windows or the soft-lite Co..

What is not in writing is, if you go through Soft-Lite Co. (at least in Connecticut) you will be charged shipping fees by soft-lite and will then need to find a dealer to install the replacement in to your sash. Then, the dealer will charge you a fee to install your insulated glass replacement into the sash.

The dealer I am working with stated he charges $50.00 to replace the glass - after the first replacement.

I followed up with Soft-Lite by calling the Soft-Lite company directly (330-528-3400). They confirmed the above, adding the price to replace the glass in sash varies from dealer to dealer.

If I had not had a bad experience with vinyl windows in the past, I may not be concerned with this. However, I know from experience there can be problems and you need support if there is a problem with your investment.

I may need to skip Soft-Lite because of the Warranty.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

You can host it on another site and link it here if you like.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I like the SL LS.
The warranty seems like a small ploy to dissuade service cost. I do not like that part.

So maybe look at HiMark/ Okna 800DX or Sunrise Vanguard/Restorations if available in your area.

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

I wouldn't right Soft-Lite off over their warranty. While it's not the very best in the industry regarding no charge to the homeowners, it's pretty solid and Soft-Lite is a very large and stable manufacturer. I've had like 3 bad pieces of glass in 10-years from them and they took care of me.

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

Soft-Lite has always sent me a new sash with their casements and double-hungs. I think you could negotiate with your dealer on the cost of future replacements if needed.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#8 Post by masterext »

I also think its not in your best interest to write off soft lite just because it doesnt have a perfect warranty. Their warranty is still considered solid and they make a very good window. If you base your purchasing decision based only on the warranty, you certainly would be using the warranty a lot. I think you are getting caught up in minutia.

karenbartone

#9 Post by karenbartone »

Thanks for the feed back on the Soft-Lite CO.

I did speak with the dealer to workout details of warranty replacements, looking solid now.

I am questioning the Soft-Lite Imperial Pro use of metal reinforcements in the frame.
However, the metal reinforcements are PVC covered which Green Building Advisor writes makes the metal support energy efficient.

Additionally, over all the Pro seems to have good ratings for Window for a cold climate

U- factor .28
Solar Heat Gain Coefficient .30
Visible Transmittance .54
Design Pressure 50
over all AAMA R-50
Air Infiltration of .1
Air Leakage of .07.
Condensation Rating of 56 (In the North East you need at least a 50 on CR).

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

Air infiltration and air leakage are the same... You may be comparing a double hung vs a slider or something along those lines to have two different numbers. On the reinforcement, metal is going to be undesirable in comparison to a non-metallic material. It is used in the Pro to keep distance between it and the higher end products of Imperial LS and Elements as far as I can tell.
Those are mostly above average numbers and an above average product.

karenbartone

#11 Post by karenbartone »

Thank you for the clarification on AI and AL.

hum, interesting though about the use of metal in the Soft Lite Imperial Pro.

The use of metal is giving me concern too, even though the over all ratings are so good.

How is it that the Pro has such good ratings with the use of metal, does anyone know?

If the the ratings are good, could the product be ok even though it is using metal reinforcements in the frame?

sigh

karenbartone

#12 Post by karenbartone »

Could someone help clarify some of the industry language

the difference between U Factor and U Value are they the same?

DP and DH, do they both mean Design Pressure or is DH something else or do they mean the same thing.

sometimes I see DP R-50, C-50 what does this mean?

Air Infiltration and Air leakage are the same, correct?

Is a DP of 50 the highest rating for a regular window before going to a hurricane grade window?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#13 Post by masterext »

Dp is design pressure.
Dh is double hungs.
Air leakage and air infiltration are the same.
R 50 is dp 50 ( residential 50 ).

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

The metal reinforcement is very strong structurally, just undesirable thermally as it is very conductive. It will be a contributing factor to an inferior overall u-value in comparison to a product that uses a non-metallic reinforcement. Is it a deal breaker? I don't think so... it is just an illustration of have a bunch of little things (type of reinforcement, mil thickness of vinyl, sill design, glass spacer, weatherstripping, etc) all combine to separate windows from average, above average, and excellent.
Masterext broke down the abbreviations for you. The only thing that I'd in regard to your question on DP, there are products higher than R-50 that are designed for general use not just coastal. There are a handful of windows in the DP 60-70 range.

karenbartone

#15 Post by karenbartone »

great thanks for the feed back