So is this what windows really cost?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
dobbermn

So is this what windows really cost?

#1 Post by dobbermn »

I live in Minnesota and I'm in the market for new windows. I need 5 vinyl replacement (pocket/insert style) windows. one with tempered glass 27"x54" and 4 normal glass 28"x54".
I've received quotes from Pella (250 series) and from a company that installs Alside Mezzo. Both companies pretty much are quoting a price of $1000 per window which includes taking the old ones, clean up and wrapping the exterior with aluminum.

Is this really what windows are going for these days in Minnesota? I read on a lot of these forums that I shouldn't really be paying more than $600 per window but based on what I'm seeing that's an unattainable goal.

I have a company coming out tomorrow for a quote on soft-lite windows but I fear that they will be right in line with the prices I've already been getting.

Maybe I'm out of touch with reality on pricing. Any advice would be great! Thanks.

Windows on Washington

Re: So is this what windows really cost?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Keep shopping.

I wouldn't pay that for either of those windows nor would I pay $600.

dobbermn

#3 Post by dobbermn »

Thanks for the response. This is really a frustrating process....

bgbrock

#4 Post by bgbrock »

This is really a frustrating process
It can be... but fortunately you came to the right forum. A number of window pros here that collectively have a vast number of years of experience and knowledge.

Ask away...these folks are here to help you.

dobbermn

#5 Post by dobbermn »

I've got a dealer who does Soft-Lite coming out tomorrow so we will see what they come up with.

Based on some other people who've had that dealer come out in another forum (their website has the buy 3 get 1 free or free triple pane upgrade) I'm guessing I'll get the $1k per window quote from them too. I'm beginning to think that in Minneapolis that's just what you have to pay for windows.

Called the dealer who Sunrise recommended to me today and they said that they won't come out unless the wife is there so I said that if that's a requirement I'll pass. I tell these people when I call that I want plain white vinyl windows, they are in the back of the house and it's a starter home worth only about $180K. Why do they feel they need to pitch me so hard, just give me a quote. Oh well, must be how the business works.

bgbrock

#6 Post by bgbrock »

Soft Lite is a really nice window - particularly the Elements or Imperial.

Ya gotta love the dealers that tell ya that the wife needs to be present for the presentation. I have never had that happen, but I know what my reply would be - it may be my wife, mistress or both, are ya still coming?

Good luck with your project!

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

$1K might be appropriate if you have asbestos siding, lead paint, steel paned metal windows with bad plaster returns, rotted wood, fleas, and 8' untrimmed rose bushes with uneven rotting mulch making ladder exterior work impossible. I like the SL products.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Delaware Mike wrote:$1K might be appropriate if you have asbestos siding, lead paint, steel paned metal windows with bad plaster returns, rotted wood, fleas, and 8' untrimmed rose bushes with uneven rotting mulch making ladder exterior work impossible. I like the SL products.
:lol: :lol:

Probably a bit higher than the $1,000 mark at that install.

Regardless...you get a great triple pane window, you can expect to spend some money.

Paying $1,000 for the Alside Mezzo or Pella 250 is another thing altogether though.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

DM ,
You are the only guy I know who gets jobs like that.

dobbermn

#10 Post by dobbermn »

Soft lite elements ls quote came in today $4600 for the 5 windows with the triple pane ultra s glass. I think this is probably a good deal and am probably going to take it. Especially since my pella 250 and aside mezzo with double pane quotes were both within a couple hundred bucks or so of this.

You guys think this is a pretty good deal?

Thanks for all your help!

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

That is a great glass package and 1 of the 3 best windows on the vinyl market if you ask me.

That is a fair price for that window.

dobbermn

#12 Post by dobbermn »

My bad.... Imperial LS. Still a good deal?

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

Yes. Still a solid deal with that glass package.

TheWindowNerd

#14 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Great window, nice glazing package.

toddinmn

#15 Post by toddinmn »

Might be a tad high or tad low depending on variables such as Mike pointed out. 5 windows would be considered a small project and might be adding cost.