Patio door choice help please!!

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
JTR

Patio door choice help please!!

#1 Post by JTR »

Hi
I have been given a quote for replacement patio doors from a company recommended to us which we accepted and paid a deposit for 2 x Simonton 9800 patio doors ( 1x 6080 and 1x 5080).
The contractor has now contacted us and said that he cant get the 5080 door and he can fit PGT SGD470 doors instead for the same price. Both come with a lifetime warranty

What I am trying to find out is are these doors the same quality and price range - I dont want to hand over my hard earned cash for what could be an inferior door as I have not seen the PGT model.

If they are of similar price and quality I will be happy to change, I just need you guys in the know to confirm this for me

Thanks

We are in Polk county, FL
Last edited by JTR on Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Patio door choice help please!!

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I am not hands on with either. Neither I suspect are a top performer.
Where is your project located, city and state?
You need to compare the warranties, U value, SHGC, DP and AI. You must compare those 5 things on the product to see what you will be getting.
Also you might check and compare clear opening dimensions, as both opening are rather small.
That assumes that 5080 = 50" x 80" and not 5/0 8/0= 60" x 96" etc.
I would put one red flag up about the contractor who writes a contract and takes a deposit on a project they can not fulfill. I would not dump them at this point but one or two more hiccups and they be gone, unless you have a jinxed house.

Randy

#3 Post by Randy »

While I would think that PGT is a reasonable substitution for Simonton in your area, you should probably tell the contractor to hold off on ordering anything until you have an opportunity to see the door substitute. PGT enjoys a good reputation in your area, so I think you'll find it to be a suitable product, but you should take the time to see the door first to put your mind at ease.

Bill

#4 Post by Bill »

You're contractor probably was not aware that Simonton has a standard door at 6'/0" x 8'/0" but not a 5'/0" x 8'/0". The PGT SGD470 door is a tank of a door, the strongest vinyl door I have ever seen, at the 8ft height I would much rather have the SGT470 over the 9800. The standard Design Pressure on a 6/0 x 8/0 SGT470 is DP+-60 and can be upgraded to DP+-80. The 9800 DP rating for the same size is only DP+-35. In Florida you want the stronger door.

The frame is bulky on the SGD470, click on the link below to view a multi panel SGT470 in action.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/394 ... G_0325.MOV

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Randy wrote:While I would think that PGT is a reasonable substitution for Simonton in your area, you should probably tell the contractor to hold off on ordering anything until you have an opportunity to see the door substitute. PGT enjoys a good reputation in your area, so I think you'll find it to be a suitable product, but you should take the time to see the door first to put your mind at ease.
Perfect advice. While not intimately familiar with PGT, they enjoy a good reputation and in fact I believe that they actually have better ratings than the Simonton. That said, anytime there is a substituion, it is always beneficial to see the product that is being offered.
Great info from Bill as well.

TLHWINDOW

#6 Post by TLHWINDOW »

PGT 470 is def. a solid door, so is CWS's sliding door.

Here is where you need to make sure you are good with their doors:

See the frame and door if possible.

Depth. These doors stand at a depth of 5+ inches, not including the screen. So if you have a 2x4 built house, you/he will need to account for the new depth.

Heavy. Make sure you get good SS wheels on these. Don't let him cheap out. The doors are heavy because they are re-enforced. Don't get the nylon wheels either unless you want to be stuck replacing them often.

Good Luck.

JTR

#7 Post by JTR »

Thanks guys you have put my mind at rest!!!

I will make sure the rollers are ss