Losing my mind looking at windows - need help!

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
gillis6599

Losing my mind looking at windows - need help!

#1 Post by gillis6599 »

Live in Pittsburgh and in need of new windows. I've done quite a bit of research trying to determine what windows to get. Any advice would be great. I understand there are pros and cons to every company/window and that the installer is probably the most important aspect.

Little information - lots of trees and house is rather dark. Plus electric heat makes for cold winters. Current windows are aluminum and pathetic! I want quality but don't necessarily need top of the line window prices. House is worth 180K roughly, not real high in our area, so installing extravagant windows would be silly.

One contractor recommended Simonton, another Andersen 100 and a third Polaris Ultaweld or Thermaweld.

Things important to me:
1) Quality to help with keeping house warm.
2) Getting the most amount of light possible in. Some windows seem to be very thick vinyl, and the glass portion is much smaller. (Because of trees, window placement in the house, and the large hill behind us, we get very little direct sunlight into the house.
3) Price - I don't want to go overly cheap, but I'm intelligent enough to know that over paying for windows is silly.

Because of the shade, the summer months are not really a problem. I'm more concerned about heat loss than anything else.

I know no one can tell me what to do, but any specific input on what window makes the most sense for this type of house would be appreciated.

Probably will do a few windows at a time...total of 20 or so windows.

Thanks.
Jason

Windows on Washington

Re: Losing my mind looking at windows - need help!

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Lets start with your questions in order:
  • 1. Of those three, the UltraWeld will be the best performer on this front.
    2. The Andersen 100 will be the narrowest here.
    3. Can't comment intelligently on that one without knowing what you were quoted for product "x".
The ThermalWeld is a narrower profile but I prefer the UltraWeld's performance. There are narrower high end performance vinyl units out there still and I would just throw out the Simonton as it runs a bit bulky and doesn't offer any performance advantage over the other units.

gillis6599

#3 Post by gillis6599 »

Thanks for the replay WOW. So it sounds like you may have other suggestions? Please elaborate if you feel there's a better route to go...keeping in mind I don't want to go overboard on pricing.

Also, I need to replace a sliding glass door as well. Figured I would go with the same company I choose for the windows. That seem logical? Ultraweld have a decent sliding glass door?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

The UltraWeld is a fine performer. It might run a bit on the thick side though if you are concerned about that.

Sunrise and Okna have two of the narrower profiles out there. Both make really good doors as well.

Randy

#5 Post by Randy »

As to Sunrise, I'd avoid the base Sunrise and the Essentials; stick with either the Vanguard or the Restorations.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Just installed a Sunrise Vanguard door yesterday, very nice.
As is the Okna doors we normally install.
You would be very happy with the Okna windows.

bgbrock

#7 Post by bgbrock »

Window Nerd - Just out of curiosity, what is the difference in attributes between the Vanguard patio door and the base Sunrise (not the Essentials)?

Between the two websites (Sunrise / Vanguard) the product descriptions appear to be the same.

Unless of course I am overlooking something.

Thanks!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#8 Post by masterext »

I inquired about this a while back and from what i remember, there is no difference. I am talking sunrise and vanguard and NOT the essentials.
Its a very sharp looking patio door and designed exceptionally well from what I remember.
The vanguard window has some better features and design specs that make it a little better than the standard Sunrise though.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

masterext wrote:I inquired about this a while back and from what i remember, there is no difference. I am talking sunrise and vanguard and NOT the essentials.
Its a very sharp looking patio door and designed exceptionally well from what I remember.
The vanguard window has some better features and design specs that make it a little better than the standard Sunrise though.
That's my understanding as well, but I'll admit, it's not a product that I've dealt with daily in recent years.
Many manufacturers (vinyl particularly) have multiple grades of window offering, but one solid door.

bgbrock

#10 Post by bgbrock »

Thanks guys! I thought I was missing something other than my sanity. :)