Insert window or Full Replacement (MN - Twin Cities)

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
chance1117

Insert window or Full Replacement (MN - Twin Cities)

#1 Post by chance1117 »

I am just starting looking at replacing the windows in my house. The house was built in 1989 and has wood windows and frames through out. We have 16 total windows. 4 of the windows are sliding the rest are casement windows. On the upper level half of the casement windows don't open. We just got the house painted this summer.

So far we have gotten one quote from Anderson windows for about 25k or 1562 per window (full replacement). We do have two windows with half circles on the top of them. This quote included taking the half circles out and making that window one large rectangular window. The reason for this is they were quoting 1380 per half circle window to replace.

We have appointments for Champion windows and Pella (Lowes) to come out for a quote next week.

I'm curious to know if I need full replacements or just inserts.

Here is an album of a couple windows: http://imgur.com/a/03p6g

toddinmn

Re: Insert window or Full Replacement (MN - Twin Cities)

#2 Post by toddinmn »

I would go with a full frame, but not needed. Consider cancelling your appointments and going with some brands that are recommend on the board. The prices on wood are typically going to be much higher than vinyl, especially if you want them stained or painted.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you could get in contact with Todd, he would be the best person to help you by doing your project.
Either method of install can work for you.
The full frame will cost nearly double of high performance vinyl. But it will give you as near the look that you currently have, assuming clad wood product selection. It will also maintain the visible glass area. Doing and insert window on the casements will result in close to 7" less glass in the width and height.
You have 3 major decisions:
product selection: clad wood, fiberglass, or vinyl. there are great products in all three categories.
install method: there are more pluses and minuses with each major method than I have mentioned. This is where your contractor should be giving you insight and assistance.
contractor selection: you need an independent well seasoned mechanic to bring you objective advice and then perfect installation.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Can you do and insert there and have it function just as well as the full tear out...yes.

Is it worth it...depends on what you place value on.

I am always hesitant about telling many (not all...but many) window installers to pull out a flanged unit, that was not leaking, and put in a full frame unit. You can wind up with a leaky window where one did not exist before.

Its done all the time but with the clapboard siding, you need to make sure all the flashing details are correct.

An insert job would be a saving over the full tear out but will have a different interior look to it as compared to your current windows. I would have a capable installer that might be proposing inserts demonstrate to you what the windows will look like and then decide what you want to undertake.

Have you settled on a materials type for the window?

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

I've retrofitted replacement casements like that many times with excellent results. However, in the same condo units I've seen butchered up jobs. You have to start with a very good product and have it married to an experienced competent mechanic. The right interior trim stops, type and method of exterior finish work is crucial to making you regret not going with a full frame type of install.

The other Pros are correct in that a full frame is typically twice the investment.

chance1117

#6 Post by chance1117 »

toddinmn wrote:I would go with a full frame, but not needed. Consider cancelling your appointments and going with some brands that are recommend on the board. The prices on wood are typically going to be much higher than vinyl, especially if you want them stained or painted.
I should have made this a little more clear. We haven't decided on materials. We just got our house painted with white trim with the intention of getting windows replaced with white. I'm not overly concerned about the appearance of the windows. We only have 1 window on the street side of our house.

Could you point me in the direction of the windows recommended on the board? Right now I only have Soft-lite windows on my list to check out. I also need to look into Window concepts.
TheWindowNerd wrote:If you could get in contact with Todd, he would be the best person to help you by doing your project.

Doing and insert window on the casements will result in close to 7" less glass in the width and height.
I'm new to the boards. Who is Todd? Is he in the Twin Cities area?

Would I lose like 1.5 inches each direction on each window with inserts? Would a lose much in efficiency if I went with inserts?
Windows on Washington wrote: An insert job would be a saving over the full tear out but will have a different interior look to it as compared to your current windows. I would have a capable installer that might be proposing inserts demonstrate to you what the windows will look like and then decide what you want to undertake.

Have you settled on a materials type for the window?
I'm not too worried on the look on the inside of the house. I really wouldn't mind it looking different. I have been in the house less than a year and we plan on making changes even with full window replacement. We are considering painting our trim White anyway.

We haven't decided on a material. I'm a little skeptical of wood just cause our current ones are rotting in places. In the same breath they are 25 years old. I hope our new windows last that long!
Delaware Mike wrote:I've retrofitted replacement casements like that many times with excellent results. However, in the same condo units I've seen butchered up jobs. You have to start with a very good product and have it married to an experienced competent mechanic. The right interior trim stops, type and method of exterior finish work is crucial to making you regret not going with a full frame type of install.

The other Pros are correct in that a full frame is typically twice the investment.
When you say twice the investment how much would you estimate the cost per window. I also would love to save some money by trimming the inside of the windows myself. I have experience doing this when finishing the basement at my old house. I was very happy with my results.

Thanks everyone for your help in knowledge. I'm quickly finding that this is a huge expensive project and it is difficult to find good honest information.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Tough to tell what a window replacement would run in your region as there are no standards.

If you can trim out this type of stuff, you would probably do well with an insert replacement if you don't mind the different interior look and smaller glass area.

bgbrock

#8 Post by bgbrock »

I'm new to the boards. Who is Todd? Is he in the Twin Cities area?
Todd is the second poster to this thread. Yes, I believe he is in, or near, the Twin City metro area.

Would I lose like 1.5 inches each direction on each window with inserts? Would a lose much in efficiency if I went with inserts?
Depends upon the manufacturer of the window. No efficiencies would be lost with an insert.

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

I am in Minneapolis , but I can not take any more jobs till maybe January.You are in the right direction with Soft-Lite, also consider Sunrise and Polaris for vinyl .Prices will be all over the place from brand to brand and dealer to dealer.Be sure to get specific details on the install as this will effect pricing.Most people will not notice the loss of glass and it would be less noticeable if you replace mulled units with mulled units. Vinyl is a great way to go especially if you have painted trim.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If ya can wait Todd can do it...

In double hung windows the energy savings are drastically better with vinyl windows, both in U value and AI(air infiltration). Not typically as large a difference in casement windows.

Vinyl is the best overall value if it can work for you.

You can do full tear/full frame or insert with the vinyl.

chance1117

#11 Post by chance1117 »

toddinmn wrote:I am in Minneapolis , but I can not take any more jobs till maybe January.You are in the right direction with Soft-Lite, also consider Sunrise and Polaris for vinyl .Prices will be all over the place from brand to brand and dealer to dealer.Be sure to get specific details on the install as this will effect pricing.Most people will not notice the loss of glass and it would be less noticeable if you replace mulled units with mulled units. Vinyl is a great way to go especially if you have painted trim.
We actually ended up canceling our appointments cause financially we aren't ready yet. Do all three of those companies do vinyl replacement and insert windows? I would love to go the insert route if possible. I'm not concerned about the small loss of glass. As long as the bedroom windows would still meet code.

I will PM you for contact info for the future.

Thanks everyone for the help!

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

All three do great vinyl and can be used in either full frame or insert applications.
Last edited by TheWindowNerd on Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toddinmn

#13 Post by toddinmn »

It is not always required to meet current egress code with windows, especially if it's a homesteaded property.