Replacement windows in Illinois

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
WAC

Replacement windows in Illinois

#1 Post by WAC »

I am getting ready to replace my double hung windows and patio door in Illinois. I want to go with new construction vinyl windows and door because I want the windows flush with the siding and the extension jambs on the inside. I will be replacing siding next spring. Looking for a good quality window. Wanting recommendations please. I've done a lot of research, just need a little help. Thanks in advance.

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacement windows in Illinois

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Where in Illinois are you located?

You understand a nailing flange equip install will necessitate removal of the siding, cladding, and/or trim on the exterior.

WAC

#3 Post by WAC »

I'm in central Illinois. I understand that the siding will need to be removed for the nailing flange.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

In IL you should have access to the top performing products on the market, including Okna/Himark, Elements by Softlite, Restorations by Sunrise, etc.
To find dealers, the easiest way would be to contact the manufacturers and get a referral if a simple web search doesn't return the result that you are looking for.
Window4U is a long time contributor here that serves the Chicagoland area. Highly recommended if he covers your area, but he may or may not. If you click his "Get a Quote" button it will either work or not based on zip code.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Guys... He's already contacted me and we've met. He is wanting to do his due diligence and do a little more research from multiple sources, so please answer any of his questions with your best answers about his situation. I'll sit out this thread and go watch TV. :wink:

WAC

#6 Post by WAC »

Yes, I've met with Dave. I am very impressed with the Okna 800 new construction and Dave's installation process. I was going to put in Pella 450 Proline and then started checking the vinyl replacement windows, which my knowledge on these windows are nil to none. I've read forums till I'm blue in the face. They all have their choice on windows good and bad. I'm wanting to get as much information as possible before making a choice. I made a bad decision on replacement windows 10 yrs. ago and they are failing due to poor installation and I don't want that to happen again. That is why I'm on here looking for as much advice possible from the pros. Thanks.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

You are in the right place.

The Pella 450 isn't a terrible window but it isn't in the category of the Okna 800 whether you get it from Dave or not.

Sounds like you are in analysis paralysis mode but it will pass.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

WAC wrote:I've read forums till I'm blue in the face. They all have their choice on windows good and bad.
What other forums are you reading? Most of the ones that are run by reputable folks have a pretty consistent idea of what the top 5 window in each of the given material types are.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#9 Post by masterext »

WAC
No matter where you look or whom you talk with, the story will be the same: the okna 800 is an excellent window.
You seem to have done a good amount of research.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

+1.... The choices aren't quite as subjective as you may think. There are only a handful of products that achieve elite status when reviewing independently tested thermal and structural ratings (u factor in conjunction with shgc and condensation resistance, air infiltration, etc ). There are a few other sites that are completely open like this one, and the several others that have a similar appearance but are moderated by one party with a clear bias toward his/her offerings. Then there are a few "contractor" and diy sites where you get a strong opinion from a whole bunch of people that arent qualified to comment on windows.
You are in the right place here, but again, don't just take our word for it. The performance ratings speak for themselves in most cases.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#11 Post by masterext »

WAC
Evaluating a window is a bit easier than you think..
A few things to look for.
1) a true welded sloped sill OPPOSED to a snap in sloped sill or a pocket sill ( both are bad news and cheaply designed).
2) a total Ufactor of .27 or lower. I am using .27 because next year the energy star criteria will be lowered from .30 to a .27.
3) condensation resistance( CR ) should be a 58 or higher.
4 ) one of the most important, Air infiltration rating should be( ideally) .06 or lower on a DOUBLE HUNG. Some companies cheat and only reveal the air leakage number on a casement or fixed window.
5) structural rating/ DP rating should be 40 or higher.
6) a non metal spacer.
7) if the window cannot be ordered in Triple Pane, thats a RED FLAG. To me and many other pro's, that means the window frame is NOT strong enough to handle the slightly extra weight of triple pane.. Even if you want double pane, its still a structural issue.
8) finally a reputable company that does a proper installation.
Also be skeptical of any window without an NFRC label on the sample and without the total Ufactor( not center of glass) and also an NFRC label that doesnt show the CR ( condensation resistance number).

Randy

#12 Post by Randy »

Since you specifically mentioned the poor installation on your first set of replacement windows, you've done well to spend so much time researching this time around to avoid a repeat.

As one of the only guys here who isn't an Okna dealer, I can assure you that there isn't a better vinyl window made. Not only that, but Dave is a true professional with a very detailed installation system that stands heads and shoulders above his competitors.

WAC

#13 Post by WAC »

Well here it is. After mush research as you all know I've been doing.
I have decided on the Okna 800 new construction XR-9 triple pane. Single Prairie grid in the top pane. Full screen and Okna 800 Patio door w/ single Prairie grids. Is there anything I'm missing?
Will be getting with Dave for the install. Thank you everyone for your help and advice.

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

WAC wrote:Well here it is....Is there anything I'm missing?
Just the celebration dance for a great selection.... :D :D :D