Warped windows?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
a2mamaboose

Warped windows?

#1 Post by a2mamaboose »

Imagine the single hung vinyl window (1996 builder's choice) closed and locked. At the bottom middle, the window has a tight seal and no air penetration. As you near the corners, a gap starts forming. At the corners, the gap is 1/4"! I can see daylight through this gap, not to mention the air I feel. I have 8 windows with this problem and all are on the north end of the house; 2 on the north side; 3 on the east side; 1 on the west side but all on the north end of the house. I wondered if it is a foundation issue, but nothing else is proving that theory. No wall cracks, no sticking doors, etc. I'm wondering if it's just poor craftsmanship. Not enough shims when installed?

I am almost to the point of opening up the wall under the windows to see if anything obvious jumps out.

I have plastic'd the windows with this problem for now. I would appreciate any and all theories or suggestions.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Warped windows?

#2 Post by masterext »

You need new windows, no way to fix a warped sash. Vinyl is a great building product as long as its a high grade vinyl material with a design that ensures structural integrity. The warping you are experiencing is very common in lower end vinyl such as the products sold at building supply houses and home centers.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I've found that almost all old wood windows I've replaced have a crown in the middle of the old sill. That's why I always made it part of my procedure to put a 1/4" thick shim under the new insert window at each side to raise up the ends a little. That way the bow in the middle wouldn't transfer to the new vinyl window.
It's very likely that masterext is 100% correct and that you need new windows, especially if the bowing is caused by the vinyl sills or sashes being permanently warped.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you have frame construction your primary cause could be compression settlement.
Particularly if this was a problem that developed over time.