Problem with lock on a Gorell double-hung window

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
mrmichaeljmoore

Problem with lock on a Gorell double-hung window

#1 Post by mrmichaeljmoore »

I'm having a problem with the locking mechanism on one of my Gorell 5300 double-hung windows.
The locking mechanism has a silver nub on it.
In order to open the window, you must depress the nub then turn the crank to release the lock.
The problem I'm having with this one window is that the nub doesn't click into place upon locking the window.
As a result, I do not need to depress the nub in order to unlock the window.....you just have to turn the crank.
Hopefully, I am explaining this correctly.....if not, let me know.

Anyone have any insight on how to repair this?

If I need to post pictures, let me know.
Windows were installed approximately 5 years ago.

Thank you.
mm

Delaware Mike

Re: Problem with lock on a Gorell double-hung window

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

Sounds like that particular lock has some type of interference within the housing chamber. I just removed one of those locks from a sample that I had laying around and there is either a spring behind the metal safety button or some type of tension clip. You may have just broken internally or there is a metal shaving or "booger" impeding things. Take a smaller (#1) Phillips screwdriver and take the lock off and try hitting the back of the locks with a can of compressed air like the computer guys use to clean PC towers and keyboards. Take it through a couple of cycles and see if she works or not. You may go to the next level with some lubricant like WD-40 to see if it gets that button to work or not.

If that doesn't work just call Soft-Lite and they should be able to get you a replacement lock.

mrmichaeljmoore

#3 Post by mrmichaeljmoore »

Finally got a moment to take the lock off the window.
Tried compressed air and some silicone spray.....no luck.
The lock still doesn't click.

I'll reach out to the contractor that did the windows and see if I can get a replacement through him.

It's not really a big deal, I suppose.
The window is still locked. Although, having to depress the button to unlock the window provides just a little bit more security.....no?
After all, isn't that the purpose of the button?

Plus, this particular window is a small bathroom window.
I guess someone could crawl through it, but it would be tough.

Thanks for the help.
mm

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

To be honest, if someone wants to get in, they will just crack the glass. Most just kick in the door, crawling through a window is an ancient practice.lol

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

That safety button is to secure operation from the inside. Always thought it's intention was to keep curious toddlers from unlocking it and gaining access to opening of the sash which on a multilevel house could lead to danger.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

As stated earlier, shouldn't be an issue as it does not affect operation of the unit or the security of the unit.

mrmichaeljmoore

#7 Post by mrmichaeljmoore »

Thank you for your responses.

mm