provia vs softlite

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
fleaflicker

provia vs softlite

#1 Post by fleaflicker »

Hello I am looking at Provia VT800 window vs Softlite Barrington. Can you offer advice on which might be a better option? Provia stated that their window was an R-4 while Barrington did not list an R value but emphasized the better air infiltration numbers. This for Southern Ohio in a block house. The Softlite came in about $600.00 less then the Provia I did question the fact that the Provia only had a gasket on the bottom of the windows when the window was down. The Barrington had a small "air dam" built into the sill of the window. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: provia vs softlite

#2 Post by masterext »

You are referring to what is called a " sill interlock". Soft lite also has a compression seal on each side of the bottom portion of the sash. A Qlon seal and another seal.
I am not familiar with the provia window. Soft lite make a very good window but ask to see the bainbridge, its a step up from the barrington and has fiberglass reinfircement.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

I haven't seen the Provia window either but they do make a nice door.

Soft-Lite is one of the better windows out there so I think you are okay either way.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd prefer the Provia. The Barrington is one of SL's lower end offerings, and I'm not a fan of their customer service based on personal experience.

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

I would consider the ProVia a little bit of an upgrade over the Barrington and it definitely costs us dealers much more to purchase wholesale. Performance wise they're very close. I believe from memory that the ProVia has mortised/recessed locks, block and tackle balances, dual balance covers per jamb, and in house Super Spacer glazing standard. It's been years since I've installed either of these series as I'm a dealer for both manufacturer.

If I were to order a Barrington I would want the balance covers for their cosmetic enhancement and sash reinforcement since it's sort of narrow sash extrusion.

win1

#6 Post by win1 »

I would add sash reinforcement to the Provia Integra model as well if not included.