Problem with Gorell slider door

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
mrmichaeljmoore

Problem with Gorell slider door

#1 Post by mrmichaeljmoore »

I am having a problem with my Gorell slider door.

It seems that during extremely cold temperatures (-12 degrees this morning), the door warps and the seal between the slider and the solid door is compromised (widens), allowing air and noise infiltration.

I took a few videos to show what I am talking about and linked them here.

You can hear real clearly the ambient outdoor noise (including my neighbor's dog) coming through.
When I push on the slider door, the seal is made and the noise and air infiltration dissipates.

I don't seem to be having this problem during more normal cold temperatures.
I checked the track to make sure there was no ice or snow buildup causing the problem.

Video links:
http://youtu.be/tol-tcvF-z4
http://youtu.be/HpoSO9guPtc
http://youtu.be/m-0qNXL-EzY

Has anyone seen vinyl windows warp during extremely cold temperatures?
Any ideas on a solution? Possibly installing a slightly larger brush seal? Move to a tropical climate?!?!

Thanks.
mm

Windows on Washington

Re: Problem with Gorell slider door

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

That bugger is going to leak some air to be certain.

When we talk about door warping, first thing we look at it installation or rough opening movement (i.e. building settlement).

HomeSealed suggestion about calling Soft-Lite is where I would start.

mrmichaeljmoore

#3 Post by mrmichaeljmoore »

I sent an email to my installer.
Ill let you know what they say.

Thank you.
mm

fenestrationman

#4 Post by fenestrationman »

I would check to see if the interlocks have bypassed. There seems to be a consistent gap the entire length of the meeting stile.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

fenestrationman wrote:I would check to see if the interlocks have bypassed. There seems to be a consistent gap the entire length of the meeting stile.
That would be my best guess as well. It doesn't seem like the panel's interlocks are interlocking, which would normally help pull the panels together. When they bypass each other they actually hold the panels apart.
If that isn't the problem, replacing the weatherstripping with much bulkier weatherstripping may help solve the problem. Make sure the interlock is working properly first though.

Win-admin
Board Administrator

#6 Post by Win-admin »

Image of gap in Gorell Slider from 2nd video link http://youtu.be/HpoSO9guPtc

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

The fix for that isn't fun, been there. Getting a replacement door panel would be the best option provided it's not installation related. Try taking a straightedge of some sort and seeing how warped the sash/panel is.

I'm not sure if Soft-Lite keep Gorell's door or not as they absorbed them a few years back?

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Delaware Mike wrote:The fix for that isn't fun, been there. Getting a replacement door panel would be the best option provided it's not installation related. Try taking a straightedge of some sort and seeing how warped the sash/panel is.

I'm not sure if Soft-Lite keep Gorell's door or not as they absorbed them a few years back?
They did not, although they may still make service parts as needed.... Expect to pay buku bucks for it though. They are not doing anyone favors on warranties these days.

Delaware Mike

#9 Post by Delaware Mike »

Brandon, kind of figured that. I had a replacement patio slider panel delivered to my shop several summers ago for a manufacturer that I carry. I didn't sell or install the 6' slider as it came out of York, PA as a cash and carry deal and then the homeowner had his private contractor drive down to the Jersey shore to install it for him. The installer did a pretty good job all things considered and it was simply leading from one room to sort of another inside room, thus no real weather or need for capping.

The reason that the replacement panel was made was that the internal blinds were hanging up. Well, the new panel was so warped that I could't even get into to fit into the jamb to lock it. When placing the panel on the ground one could really see the entire thing was either smiling or frowning. After a quick 30-second look at the blind operator and a good finger flick on the glass that magnet grabbed and locked into it's correct position and I couldn't get the thing to fail if I tried a thousand times. Clearly, something came loose in shipping and the installers couldn't figure it out not be a regular vinyl guy.

I've seen service techs take heat guns and putty knives and try to form interlocks back into workable positions without a lot of success. If the entire panel is bowed or warped getting it back into the correct working position would take quite a bit of heat and staying in a locked position for a period of time.

mrmichaeljmoore

#10 Post by mrmichaeljmoore »

Sorry for the delay in updating my original post.
Thank you to everyone who has responded thus far....

The "warping" definitely seems temperature driven.

The day after my original post, the temperatures were warmer. The morning temps were about 5 degrees or so, as opposed to the -12 degrees on the day I originally posted.
And since then, I haven't noticed the warping as bad as is in the videos.

So.....

I had a couple of questions:

1. The interlocks that were mentioned in a few posts. What are those? How do inspect them?
2. Has anyone seen the cold weather cause the vinyl to temporarily warp?

Thank you.
mm

Delaware Mike

#11 Post by Delaware Mike »

Typical interlocks on a vinyl slider are usually a snap in piece to the meeting or lock rail areas in the middle of the door that feature a pronounce sort of tongue that houses weatherstripping. When the panels are in a closed position the tongues, or tongue and groove will interlock together to provide an extra level of protection from air and water intrusion. Well, except in your case right now.

Sorry that I've never seen the Gorell door up close which isn't that much help to you. I've seen low-grade vinyl products not installed and kept locked during various heating and cooling cycles have problems in extreme winter cold conditions. Gorell was considered a high-end brand years ago and the dealers all got top dollar for the product. After close examination of the product I think that it could have been built a heck of a lot better.