Okna 800 vs Okna 1800

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
AliInBaltimore

Okna 800 vs Okna 1800

#1 Post by AliInBaltimore »

As far as I can tell, the main difference is that the 800 is double pane, while the 1800 is triple pane. Does anyone know of any other major differences? Is there a difference in the "layers" of Low E coating? (For example, comparing Okna 500 vs 800, one difference is the 500 has 11 layers of Low E coating, while the 800 series has 22 layers of coating.)

Windows on Washington

Re: Okna 800 vs Okna 1800

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Low-e coatings are the same.

The 1800 is a special glass package as it pertains to the optimum glass spacing for argon fill.

It give you a bit better performance over the standard 800 in a similar outfitting (i.e. triple pane argon).

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Windows on Washington wrote:Low-e coatings are the same.

The 1800 is a special glass package as it pertains to the optimum glass spacing for argon fill.

It give you a bit better performance over the standard 800 in a similar outfitting (i.e. triple pane argon).
+1.
Just to correct the low e coating issue though:
1) the 500 and 800 series offer the same glass packages
2) There are not 11 and 22 low-e coatings. It is one low e coating comprised of 11 layers. A double coat of low-e (often called lowE2) will have ONE coating on two different glass surfaces. I suppose you could call it 22 layers at that point, but it is really just TWO coatings. It sounds like perhaps this dealer is quoting you the standard low e in the 500 and then packaging Lowe 2 in the 800 option.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

HomeSealed wrote:

+1.
2) There are not 11 and 22 low-e coatings. It is one low e coating comprised of 11 layers. A double coat of low-e (often called lowE2) will have ONE coating on two different glass surfaces. I suppose you could call it 22 layers at that point, but it is really just TWO coatings. It sounds like perhaps this dealer is quoting you the standard low e in the 500 and then packaging Lowe 2 in the 800 option.
I always thought low2 and lowe3 was only on surface 2.
I know Vytex windows make a really nice .18 Ufactor window in their Potomac series. I think its on surface 2. Its also a good looking window.
Also the new Okna 600 series " EcoPro" gets a .18 Ufactor as well.
Last edited by masterext on Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

masterext wrote:
HomeSealed wrote:

+1.
I always thought low2 and lowe3 was only on surface 2.
2 separate coatings of LowE , one a surface 2 and one on surface 3 should be used with tempered glass. You can get heat build up in the air space which can crack the glass.( so ive been told).
You are right masterext, I can see how that part sounds wrong. My point was that it is that saying 11 or 22 layers is a bit of a misnomer. It really one coat and two coats... Thanks for clearing that up about the surfaces.

AliInBaltimore

#6 Post by AliInBaltimore »

Is this "22 layers" business a proprietary feature of OKNA's glass, or something pretty much any glass with two layers of LowE coating would have?

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

AliInBaltimore wrote:Is this "22 layers" business a proprietary feature of OKNA's glass, or something pretty much any glass with two layers of LowE coating would have?
Hate to step on anyone's toes, but it is really nothing proprietary. There are only a handful of companies that make the glass used by hundreds of window manufacturers. Cardinal and Guardian are a couple of the largest. Okna uses Guardian. The thing to remember is that the spacer, window frame and components all go into making a high quality unit, and can have a profound effect on performance. A lesser window with the same glass (low-e) could get a u factor of .30 or worse, whereas the Okna 800 gets a .26. That is not insignificant, and accomplished with the same, (not proprietary) glass... So in summation, while the glass is very good, it is not vastly different from any number of other products on the market. It is all of the other components that truly separate windows by quality and performance.